Quantcast

Wheel Deals?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Are there any great deals on wheels out there? I would like to grab a spare set for roadtrips, shuttle days, park days, etc.

I am comfortable building my own, but I’d like to see if there are any smoking deals on built sets out there on the intarwebs.

Looking for 27.5/29, 148/110 & HG driver….

Alternatively, smoking deals on hubs would be neat too…

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Id try spoke x in Temecula al30 rims and their hubs...the use a star ratchet system since the patent came up on it...
The rims are like fr540 but instead of a 1.3mm spoke bed and washers needed they went to a 2mm spoke bed for thickness..

They do dent like DT and they also can be pulled back with a crescent wrench...I've already dented a couple times but then again I mashed straight through a rock pile just cause it was there and I like the feel of the bike chucking and plowing through rocks fast...(When front kicks sideways it has a massive pucker factor but fun).

18 points I believe but dt star drives fit right in

Added: don't know that they have a hg driver...XD for sure I have a set of the hubs here I'm building for v10 for less engagement

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Thanks!

However, I am looking for something a little more moderately priced than that. At this point I will probably just build a set myself. Shopping around made me realize I am pretty set in my ways. HG Drive, Sapim Laser spokes, 32H, 3X on WTB KOM aluminum hoops are my setup of choice. I have King hubs on my current wheelset, but don't want to drop that level of cash for back up wheels...

Currently dithering between really cheap options like Bitex or SunRingle OR going with mid level Hope Pro5. I have no experience with any of those brands. The Hopes seem like a great deal. Any more suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hopes are generally simple, easy to punch the bearings out and put in new bearings. The tolerances are good. DT has that extremely difficult to get to freehub bearing-I don't know if that's been updated with the newest generation, but getting at that bearing often breaks the tool intended for it. I really like the longevity of the DT stuff though and their bearing quality is better for sure. The Hopes are just no-frills simple hubs IME, which has merit. DT350 is a good choice on the DT side.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks!

However, I am looking for something a little more moderately priced than that. At this point I will probably just build a set myself. Shopping around made me realize I am pretty set in my ways. HG Drive, Sapim Laser spokes, 32H, 3X on WTB KOM aluminum hoops are my setup of choice. I have King hubs on my current wheelset, but don't want to drop that level of cash for back up wheels...

Currently dithering between really cheap options like Bitex or SunRingle OR going with mid level Hope Pro5. I have no experience with any of those brands. The Hopes seem like a great deal. Any more suggestions from the peanut gallery?
have you looked on the German sites? They often have good deals on full wheelsets.