Quantcast

Wheel Lacing Problems

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
I have taken up a hobby of building recumbent bikes. I am currently building a low racer and am replacing both (front & rear) 20 inch wheels to generic disc brake hubs. Each time I have tried, I find the outbound spokes end up sticking out as too long. All the inbound spokes are fitting fine, but not any of the outbound spokes on either side of each wheel. What am I doing wrong?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
"dish" is exactly that, how the rim is positioned relative to the centerline between flanges.

How offset are you talking about? a few mm, or more?

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
No. I discarded the old ones as they were not equipped for disc brakes.
The new ones and the old ones are both 58mm?
The spokes that were in the wheels clearly would not fit the new hubs. I used a bicycle spoke calculator to determine what spoke lengths I should use. All the inbound spokes appear to fit very well. It's the outbound spokes that appear to be as much as 5mm too long.

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
I think I have identified your problem, the spokes you are trying to use are not correct for the new hubs.
I also discarded the original spokes. I could see they would not fit. I used a spoke length calculator to determine the spoke lengths to use and all the inbound spokes on both sides appear to fit very well, but none of the outbound spkes appear to fit and it looks like they are maybe 5-6mm too long.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
explain 'inbound' vs 'outbound' for me. are you referring to leading vs trailing?
typically any difference in spoke length is drive side or non-drive side, not leading vs trailing. maybe you have the correct spoke lengths and mis-laced the wheel??

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Are the rims "right handed" or "left handed"? I usually mess up by putting the key spoke in the wrong hole. That will make the spokes appear to be the wrong length.

Per Sheldon Brown:

Rims are drilled either "right handed" or "left handed". This has to do with the relationship between the valve hole and the spoke holes. The spoke holes do not run down the middle of the rim, but are offset alternately from side to side. The holes on the left side of the rim are for spokes that run to the left flange of the hub. With some rims, the spoke hole just forward of the valve hole is offset to the left, with others it is offset to the right (as illustrated). Which type is "right handed" and which "left handed"? I have never met anyone who was willing to even make a guess!

The key spoke will be next to the valve hole in the rim, or one hole away.

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
explain 'inbound' vs 'outbound' for me. are you referring to leading vs trailing?
typically any difference in spoke length is drive side or non-drive side, not leading vs trailing. maybe you have the correct spoke lengths and mis-laced the wheel??
As I understand it, a hub has two flanges. Any spoke pushed through the outside of a flange to the inside is called an inbound spoke. Any spoke pushed from the inside to the outside of a flange is called an outbound spoke.

I'm too new at this to know other than what I read on the internet.

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
You may try relacing and move the key spoke. If it is next to the valve hole, then move it one hole away or vice versa.
I don't understand what you mean to replace or move the key spoke. Isn't the key spoke supposed to go in the the key spoke hole? How does doing this impact the excess length of all the outbound spokes?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The key spoke can go either the hole right next to the valve or one away from that depending on if the rims have offset spoke holes ("right or left handness). I have found that even though some rims appear to not be offset, they are in fact. It has frustrated me more than once resulting in what you describe. Moving the key spoke one hole away from the valve hole always fixes the problem.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I usually run 3 or 4 spoke calculators and then look closely at the differences and make sure that I didn't make an error. I usually trust DT swiss and haven't had any problems using that one.

Oct 11, 2017
Newport News, Virginia
The key spoke can go either the hole right next to the valve or one away from that depending on if the rims have offset spoke holes ("right or left handness). I have found that even though some rims appear to not be offset, they are in fact. It has frustrated me more than once resulting in what you describe. Moving the key spoke one hole away from the valve hole always fixes the problem.
It must work as I now have a fairly nicely laced wheel. I also learned to start lacing from the drive side (right) where I had been lacing starting on the left side. My rims do have spoke holes with an offset but I must believe that by following Sheldon's methodology which probably included identifying the proper key spoke. I still may have some length problems as some of the spokes seem a little loose, but I'm sure I can work that out. I'm now going to use several spoke length calculators. Again thanks to all for the help.