Quantcast

wheel lacing. what pattern?

D

dwnwrd

http://www.universalcycles.com/wh_faq.htm
i guess this tells me all i need to know

* Spoke lacing patterns are usually either Radial, 1, 2, 3 or 4 cross patterns. When a wheel is laced the pattern is named by the number of times the spokes cross each other on the same side of the wheel. The more times the spokes cross, the more they pull against each other which makes a stronger wheel. We suggest 3 cross patterns for all 32 hole wheels and 4 cross pattern for all 36 spoke wheels. These are by far the strongest wheels you can build and the weight savings by using a pattern with less crosses is minimal. Although this is suggested it is not always required. If you are a rider under 175lbs and you are using a high quality rim such as the ones we sell you can radial lace the front wheel and the non drive side in the rear. This is usually adequate but it will definitely not as strong as the recommended pattern.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Radial lace voids the warranty on most manufacturers hubs now. It will be the lightest method of lacing though.
Remember that if they don't mention it!

I always build 3x on my own stuff and i never have a problem. (the rim always fails befor the build does)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think 4x is overkill for anyone but a pure cliff-dropper...

3x on good spokes and rims makes a great wheel. I MIGHT consider 4x for a set of DH practice wheels...keep them very durable and make your race wheels feel that much faster.

MD

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by MisterMental
Snowflake!!!!
BWAHahahaha!!

I built one like that one time, and it actually worked pretty well. It wasn't all that easy to true but hey. If you read any wheel build book they recommend to not do it, but it looks cool!

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
are there any placces on teh internet that tells you how to build a good wheel
im thniking of building up a 24" rear wheel and was a bit wary as i abuse wheels

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
www.harriscyclery.com, as I remember.

Perhaps parktool.com has something too.

I used the Zinn book to build my 1st set...also 24" They're a good place to start b/c you have a lot of inherent strength from the 24" size and generally beefy rims...

MD

that will be a sick wheel set. do 36 hole and 3x lacing pattern.if u really want a heavy burly wheelset. have the store drill out the holes in ur hub and rim and do 8gauge spokes by 36 and 24 inch rim. the width of the 8gauge is somewhat less then a pen.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
hell no!!!
i aint drilling them out!
do u know how much they cost?
neway i was thinking of doing them 4 cross
would i be able to use the same spokes just cut em and rethread
theres a threading tool at me lbs that i use? whaddya think?
btw that harris plce dont seem to work:S

hell no!!!
i aint drilling them out!
do u know how much they cost?
neway i was thinking of doing them 4 cross
would i be able to use the same spokes just cut em and rethread
theres a threading tool at me lbs that i use? whaddya think?
How much do what cost? the spokes(8 or 14 gauge)
yes u can cut them down and rethread them. or u can just order allready made 24inch spokes.( remember never reuse the spokes or nipples from a previous wheelset)
your local bike shop should have one if not they should be able to send them away or order u new ones.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
just is there are any good sites out there that tell you how to build tehm well or if i should pay some1 to build them for me and get it done professionally

D

dwnwrd

...the width of the 8gauge is somewhat less then a pen.
Yea, I'm very familiar with 8ga. That's what size my ear rings are! :) I can't imagine spokes that size.

just is there are any good sites out there that tell you how to build tehm well or if i should pay some1 to build them for me and get it done professionally
Do not build these wheels yourself.....Like someone else here said, find a cheap wheel to practice on. Wheel building is an art and takes time to learn.

There are also some recomendations that Magura makes for lacing wheels specifically for disc brake use. You can find the info on there website.

DO NOT RADIAL LACE ANY DISC WHEEL!!!!!
3X is strong enough for any wheel.

There's another reason for radial lacing: it makes for a stiff, precisely reacting wheel. It's true that doing so violates most hub warranties, and this is because there's less material on the spoke flange to prevent tearing the spoke out of the hum when you yank it straight away from the center of the rim.

I wouldn't suggest radial lacing for a DH or "freeride" bike, but it works real well on XC bikes for the front wheel and half of the rear...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by EBasil
There's another reason for radial lacing: it makes for a stiff, precisely reacting wheel. It's true that doing so violates most hub warranties, and this is because there's less material on the spoke flange to prevent tearing the spoke out of the hum when you yank it straight away from the center of the rim.

I wouldn't suggest radial lacing for a DH or "freeride" bike, but it works real well on XC bikes for the front wheel and half of the rear...
Radial lacing. Why NOT. Simply, lateral stiffness; there is very little.

Originally posted by spincrazy

Radial lacing. Why NOT. Simply, lateral stiffness; there is very little.
:monkey: This is why there are so few radial-laced wheelsets on the market. Heck, you'd have to look long and hard to find a radial-laced front wheel produced by Mavic, Shimano, Campagnolo, Velomax, etc..., right? :monkey: Thing is, on the numbers what you've said is almost right, but in practice has been compensated for with construction. My radial-laced front steers with laser-like precision :D even when I don't.

I'm not saying you should go out and buy or build a radial-laced front wheel for your bike. I am saying that my radial-laced Mavic 32h 217/White Industries wheelset has proven to be very durable on an XC hardtail ridden by a 200lb+ (way plus) rider. Having tacoed, flatted, kinked and bent plenty of other wheels, I have no reason not to radial lace the next set of HT wheels I put on a bike.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Uh guys. He's building a disc brake wheel. Radial is a none starter. Cannot work for disc brakes. there are plenty of radial or half radial wheels out there. Radial laced wheels are more stiff laterally but less resilient. 3 cross is the norm but 4 cross if the flange is big enough will work well too.