Quantcast

Wheel opinion

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Garner, NC
Hey whatsup? Ive just joined the forum but have been lurking around a little. Anyways ive just destroyed my front rim so im looking for a new one. Id like to hear some opinions on these two front wheels. O and I dont ride light.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18415&subcategory_ID=5312

and

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19424&subcategory_ID=5312

Also could someone maybe enlighten me on the 2x and 3x lacing thing. How does regular radial lacing compare?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Uh. Those wheels should be OK. They're pre-built wheels so the quality of the build (not the components) may be a little suspect, but nothing that can't be cleaned up by your LBS at some point.

If you're destroying wheels, just get 3 cross and ignore the rest. 2 cross is best for moderately racy wheels and radial should probably be reserved for the superlight XC thing. Basically, more crossing = more strength.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point that many of us work in Local Bike Shops, so we usually reserve opinion about Mail Order Specials.

A wheel that cheap, whether you buy it from Performance or locally, has been machine built. While the components are top notch, the most important part of a wheel, the actual build, was handled by a machine. The little touches as well as the more important QC will suffer, which makes all the difference in wheel strength.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
well, if you can true wheels, this might not be a bad deal. If not, calculate the cost 4-6 wheel trues a year.

I have a pair of OEM wheels, XT hubs and 717 rims, and I true the wheels probably that frequently....

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
there is no substitue for a quality human built wheel. check out LBS for some deals on wheels. They always have stuff laying around. If you have to go mail order those two wheels are both solid wheels. You cant go wrong with the shimano hubs.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sanjuro said:
I should point that many of us work in Local Bike Shops, so we usually reserve opinion about Mail Order Specials.

According to his location he lives 40 miles from a Performance Bike Shop. I'd call that local.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
sanjuro said:
well, if you can true wheels, this might not be a bad deal. If not, calculate the cost 4-6 wheel trues a year.

I have a pair of OEM wheels, XT hubs and 717 rims, and I true the wheels probably that frequently....

Whoa. That's a lot of truing. When do you find time to ride?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
recidivist said:
Whoa. That's a lot of truing. When do you find time to ride?
What do you mean? It takes me 5 minutes a wheel. One reason is I do is I check so frequently that I only need to touch it up each time. Also, it is my best mechanical skill.

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Garner, NC
sorry its been so long since ive replied last but computers been down. But yea performance is pretty close to me and I normally check the stuff out online then go and get it localy. I try to support the LBS' around here as much as possible. Does anyone have any experience with the x517 rims though?

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
What do you mean? It takes me 5 minutes a wheel. One reason is I do is I check so frequently that I only need to touch it up each time. Also, it is my best mechanical skill.
Not to pick, but if it were your best skill, you wouldn't have to true them much. I don't much touch mine. I guess I would put them on the stand more if it wasn't a pain in the ass to pull them.

ncxj - I think you can likely find those wheels at a better price. Not bad wheels though. I bought some wheels built by Cambria, and they were nice.