Quantcast

Wheel-set any good??

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
:help:
Shimano XT M756 Disc/Sun Rhyno Lite XL Wheelset as replacements for : Mavic 517's with NukeProof's. These will be going on the old (black rocker-arm) Ellsworth Truth frame. TIA

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Thanks rpk. DH FR? Although it is Frankenbiked with 5" in the front, I'm pretty light-weight when on this bike. This rear triangle is rim specific. So, as long as there are no well known problems with the wheelset and the weight is comparable: "If the ride/price is fly - you got to buy!" :cool:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
the weight is not comparable, the new set you're looking at is going to be MUCH heavier. Without looking anything up, you're probably adding 250+ grams to each wheel depeding on spokes, etc.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Gusitar said:
Thanks rpk. DH FR? Although it is Frankenbiked with 5" in the front, I'm pretty light-weight when on this bike. This rear triangle is rim specific. So, as long as there are no well known problems with the wheelset and the weight is comparable: "If the ride/price is fly - you got to buy!" :cool:
What do you mean "rim specific"? I don't get it.

And as Mike B said, the weight is most definitely not comparable. Rhyno XLs are a DH rim (I have one as a front rim on my Mountain Cycle 9.5) and are heavier than needed for XC and trailriding. If the 517s worked, you can certainly go ligher. Also, XT hubs are boay anchors. They work pretty well but they are one of the heaviest hubs out there.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
JRogers said:
What do you mean "rim specific"? I don't get it.

And as Mike B said, the weight is most definitely not comparable. Rhyno XLs are a DH rim (I have one as a front rim on my Mountain Cycle 9.5) and are heavier than needed for XC and trailriding. If the 517s worked, you can certainly go ligher. Also, XT hubs are boay anchors. They work pretty well but they are one of the heaviest hubs out there.
Rim brake specific...you know, those things no one uses any more ;)

I'd say you are downgrading the wheels you have now if you go to the XL's. The non-disc XT's aren't extremely heavy, though probably more than your nuke-proofs.

I would go for something like a Mavic XM719, 819 if you want tubeless. Those on XT's would be similar(I believe they are just relabeled 517's, but not sure...might be the 717's, but those woud be pretty light on a 5 inch bike) to your old wheelset, though a bit heavier. If you can spend some more look into Hope hubs for something lighter weight.

The Ito

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Hey - thanks to all for replies. I eneded up reserving a set of Mavic Crossland with something like a 400 + gram weight save.

Who woulda' thought??!? Well, Ito for one :thumb:

JRogers - Yeah - no mounts on rear triangle of the bike for disc mount. There's probably an adapter, but - - - I'm not entirely comfortable with the adaptor thing :confused:

Anyway, what's left of the 517's will go on a vacant frame that didn't get built a couple of years ago :o:

Thanks again; nice to know a board still works - g