Quantcast

wheel sizes

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i think it totally depends on your riding style, abilities, terrain, and previous bikes you have owned. im going to be giving both a shot this year but if i was to have one all around bike it would be 26 for sure

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Technically, 26" is more efficient, because there is more rotating mass. Which means more speed, with less effort in a rhythm section.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
But 24s accellerate faster. I think for smooth BMX-style jumps, park, and street, 24s make more sense. But for rougher MTB jumps, some urban hucking, and more MTB-style riding 26s are better. They blow in the park though.

IMO Go 26, they are more versitile, you have way more options in your riding. Dirt, park, cliffs, trail, street, even short xc rides, or smooth dh shuttles, etc. A 24 will only exel on tighter, slower speed jumps and skate parks.

When's the last time you saw a wicked video of someone on a 24" bike throwing down other than Hannah Hannah? Just look at what the pros are riding. Take Bearclaw for example, who is (I think) originally a 20" rider. He's always on 20 or 26, never 24. Chase, Cedric, Strait, Zink, McCaul, Paul Bas, Cowan, etc etc. All of those guys can ride what they want, a bunch even have custom bikes. No one's on 24's

If you're under 5 foot, I could understand a 24" mtb, but otherwise go 20 or 26

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
When's the last time you saw a wicked video of someone on a 24" bike throwing down other than Hannah Hannah? Just look at what the pros are riding. Take Bearclaw for example, who is (I think) originally a 20" rider. He's always on 20 or 26, never 24. Chase, Cedric, Strait, Zink, McCaul, Paul Bas, Cowan, etc etc. All of those guys can ride what they want, a bunch even have custom bikes. No one's on 24's

If you're under 5 foot, I could understand a 24" mtb, but otherwise go 20 or 26
I hate to speak about a topic that has literally been bludgeoned to death repeatedly the last few years. My only comment is that I used to be diehard big wheels only. I tried a frame that was actually designed for 24s and a suspension fork and I'm hooked. Pretty much everyone that has ridden my bike has bought either the same bike or a similar 24 setup. For park, street and DJ, the 24s work for me and my chronies. take it fwiw...

I hate to speak about a topic that has literally been bludgeoned to death repeatedly the last few years. My only comment is that I used to be diehard big wheels only. I tried a frame that was actually designed for 24s and a suspension fork and I'm hooked. Pretty much everyone that has ridden my bike has bought either the same bike or a similar 24 setup. For park, street and DJ, the 24s work for me and my chronies. take it fwiw...
Don't get me wrong, 24's work extremely well in park/street/dj applications. Personally, with my hardtail, I like to venture outside of riding strictly within those three confines. Plus speed is just as much a part of my style as flow, and 24's just don't have the stablilty or bump absorbsion at speed. It seems to me that if you're only using the bike for park/street/dj, you might as well just have a bmx bike. Different strokes for different folks.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've tried 20s and they don't work for me - I'm too cramp, feel like an ogor, etc. I think the 24s offer a good alternative. I mean, basically, my bike is a bmx with 24s. It gives me a little more room though. Preference, it all boils down to preference...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bearclaw used to always run a 24 rear just fyi.

I got some 24s and rode them for a while. They were slower riding anything of size. So I took them off and started pedaling and casing less.

That said, 24s are definitely always faster, stronger and the best thing for everyone always.......and I happen to have a pair of atomlab dhrs for sale :D

Bearclaw used to always run a 24 rear just fyi.
:D
Did bearclaw run a 24 on his hardtail or on his Big Hit? The big hits only ran 24's, and they stopped that a while ago because it sucked. I mean, I believe that he could have run a 24 on a hard tail, but have never seen it. Besides, the last several video sections I saw of him were either on 20 or 26, no 24's.

Which wheels are on your bike right now? and why?