Quantcast

Wheelbuilder question...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Define for me "handbuilt"...

I am looking at a pair of wheels on Ebay for almost nothing...WTB hoops and XT rims, labeled handbuilt. In my shop days, you couldnt get a used set of handbuilts for less than $100. Are there varying degrees of handbuilt these days?

I figure for teh hubset alone it is almost worth the price...

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
Of course there are varying degrees, are you serious?

For example, I have built over 2k wheelsets. I label mine as handbuilt. I also guarantee spoke breakage for life.

My junior mechanic also has built some wheels. He would also label them as handbuilt.

My wheels and his are hardly the same, except for the parts and general shape.

The wheels you are looking at may have been perfectly built, but have been ridden hard as hell and might only be worth $100

Just use your thinker.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wow, is this your in shop persona or just an on line sarcastic persona? Bet you sell alot of wheels with a mentality like yours, Mr Knowitall.

These are brand new...but thanks for the condescension anyway.

The guy I used to work for was one of the top wheel builders in the country. He whipped out wheels for guys from all over at a moments notice. We also sold machine laced wheels that we would dish and true in shop.
These were not handbuilt...but I could see them being sold as such in a big box shop.

I should of said they were new, I know, it would have stopped me having to explain myself.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
There is nothing wrong with what Ridefast is saying. It is absolutely true. Handbuilt doesn't mean much unless you know the reputation of the builder.

Aside from that, there are different levels of handbuilt. A wheel could be laced and have the initial tension done by a machine and still be considered handbuilt if they were finished by hand. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that. I am not sure how much value I would put on that as you don't have any idea who finished them.

Go for it if they are a good deal. It might also be worth it to have them touched up by a reliable wheel builder.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Its not what he said, its how he said it...attitudes like that drove me out of the bike business...

Your answer is way more useful to me. Thank you.