Quantcast

Wheelbuilding and spoke spacers

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all.

Ok on a recent arguement i had with a Greek wiseguy, i want your opinion on this.

He suggests that wheelbuilders in the know, use special spoke spacers that go in the hub flanges in order to protect the hub spoke inserts from ovalization!!!! In other words, this spoke spacer is something that goes between the spoke and the hub flange. Now that is the first time i hear about this.

Second, he mentioned that spoke nipples need to be loctited!!!!

Third he suggested that spokes close to each other should be laced together using a special wire.

Feel free to comment.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I see he's gone to the Gerd Schraner school of wheelbuilding. ("The Art of Wheelbuilding") I think he's talking about those little brass washers that go under the head of the spoke and tying and soldering the spoke crossings.

With the burly flanges DH hubs have I don't think it's necessary. The spoke tying will help keep broken spokes from getting loose during a run. It would make it very difficult to swap out a bent rim however. Some guy use small zip ties.

Mike

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
on the spoke tying thing.
my lbs builds my wheels like that. only 2 spokes are tied together with wire.
you end up withan extraordinary strong wheel, the drawback is you have to replace two spokes whenyou only break one.
for me its worth it.

Untitled

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
Washers - the best wheel builder I know uses them. (World-renown BWB for those of you in NC) I do agree that they are probably not necessary on dh hubs.

Tying/Soldering - I bought a pair of used wheels (26/24 Rhynos on Swiss hubs) that are tied and soldered. I have abused then relentlessly with my sledgehammer style of riding (not smooth) on trail, concrete, and an occasional dh run. The wheels are 100% true and I have never broken or loosened a spoke.

My .01 cent

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Those washers are a great idea if you are rebuilding a well-used hub with the same guage spokes as before. I used 'em once when the heads were a bit loose.

Another option is to go up a guage in spoke size, say from 14g at the head to 13.

Say no to loctite. Nipples don't loosen on a properly built wheel.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so he knows about the washers and tying, then says nipples should be locktite-ed? that's an odd combo.