Quantcast

Wheels/cassette

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Ok, I know this is probably a pretty silly question...but, anyhow...
I just got a new set of wheels (well, used...but new to me)...anyhow, threw the cogs on, all is well...but I immediately noticed something was different from my other wheels, something just looked different.
OH! That plastic disc that's always between the largest cog and the spokes. There isn't one.
Does that thing serve any purpose? Should I have one on there or am I fine without it?

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
It's there in case you're rear derailleur gets out of proper adjustment and shifts your chain off the last cog into the spokes. It's literally an ounce of protection. If you keep your rear derailleur up it should never be a problem but then again it wouldn't hurt to just put one on.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I have an xt hub with one of those on it and it rubs on the spokes and makes a noise when i ride. So your saying i can break that thing off and it will still be ok?

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by The Toninator
I have an xt hub with one of those on it and it rubs on the spokes and makes a noise when i ride. So your saying i can break that thing off and it will still be ok?
Yes!

KMan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Kennett Square PA
I have never used on of those guards. If it is on any wheel I had, off it came. As long as you maintain your bike and everything is properly adjusted you will never have a problem. But then again this is coming from a race oriented mind and that thing looks damn cheap and cheesy!

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
When I bought my first mountain bike, it came with one of those protectors. I took it to a shop to have the bike serviced and they teased a bit about having the "Geek" guard still on. Of course I couldn't have a "geek" guard on my bike after that so I took it off. Well, my very next ride the chain came off the large cog and broke three spokes. I was cursing the whole way back to the car.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Had a pal that left his on, despite our endless teasing. He was of the opinion that it would keep his chain from snapping the spokes. Much to his dismay, when he skipped it off the high end of the cassette, it broke seven spokes anyway.

The only one of these that Ive seen that was worth a sh!t was the one of aluminum that Mavic sticks on it's Crossmax wheels. I don't know if that is integral to the hub or can only be installed on Mavic rear hubs or what.