Quantcast

Wheels for my BMW FQ

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Who do you guys suggest I have build me a set of wheels for my BMW FQ
I'm looking for the following
Does Chris King make a rear hub that is 12mm axle?
I'm not sure, but I think the FQ can use either QR, 10mm or 12mm?
Someone mentioned a Chris king ISO disc with fun bolts? Not sure what those are, anyone know.
Anyhow I want these laced to atom lab trail king or trail pimp (whatever is better)

Any suggestions on my questions and who is a reputable builder for this?

Knuckle

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
King does not make a 12mm rear axle, fun bolts replace the QR and make the hub a bolt on. Trail Kings are better then Trail Pimps but Arrows are better than both. I have had good luck with wheels built buy Go-ride, Unreal and Speedgoat....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm.. Atom Lab rims are pinned instead of welded, and I'd avoid both of them as they are very heavy and the walls of the rims are so tall they tend to dent. Why not some Mavics?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
binary visions said:
Hmm.. Atom Lab rims are pinned instead of welded, and I'd avoid both of them as they are very heavy and the walls of the rims are so tall they tend to dent. Why not some Mavics?
Are the atomics that bad? I see ton's of people using them. They have to be 24" that's why I diddn't chose mavic. They don't make 24" rims do they?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
Are the atomics that bad? I see ton's of people using them. They have to be 24" that's why I diddn't chose mavic. They don't make 24" rims do they?
Oh, right. Forgot the FQ is 24" specific. Go with some Sun or Arrow then, get some good welded rims. If you've been paying attention in the DH forum, the Atom Labs guy is trying to fix their customer service but the fact is there's been a TON of bad C.S. from that company and that's not something that gets turned around overnight.

Their rims aren't bad at all, but I think there are better rims out there that are lighter for the same strength or stronger for the weight.

Incidentally, you can PM ViolentVolante about converting CK hubs to 12mm. It's been done before and he did it on his Lambda. Apparently the bearings are plenty big to pass the larger axle, it's just a matter of drilling out the end caps. Or, you can get the 10mm rear end and use the stock CK axle and fun bolts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
So is there a shop anywhere that is familiar with these fun bolts? I don't want to be drilling king hubs. I want to pay someone that is familiar with the setup so that I just have to bolt it on.

Knuckle
Order 'em right from wherever you get your CK hubs. They're just special allen-key nuts that screw onto the solid axle. Nothing difficult or exciting, pretty similar to a BMX bolt-on axle. As a matter of fact, I believe if you order the CK "Heavy Duty" hubs, they come with the stainless steel drive shell and the axle/fun bolt setup.

http://www.speedgoat.com has them.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Hadley's with Arrow the Freeride rims. or the DH ones. but either way, they are really good. same as the Sun Mag 30. one or the other