Quantcast

Wheels Go Round: Mitchell Scott

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

A new Ridemonkey series intended to seek out some of mountain biking's coolest people, and discover what makes them the hub of the industry, starting with Mitchell Scott.
---

Interview by David Peacock

The dynamic of the cycling industry has, for a long time, been based on two things: people who sell product, and people who buy product. Fortunately for us, the buyers, there happens to be a lot of quality people running the other side of the business. Be it selling magazines whose pages are brimming with ride-related rhetoric, or hawking the newest product of the production line, the people of the mountain bike industry make it happen. Conveniently for both us and them, many of them are able to make a living full time within the industry; “Wheels Go Round” is intended to seek out some of mountain biking’s coolest people, and discover what makes them the hub of the industry.

For the inaugural installment, Ridemonkey presents to you Mitchell Scott. Bike Magazine, Kootenay Mountain Culture, Powder, Explore; you name the publication, chances are it is indebted to this man. Mountain cycling also owes its thanks to Senor Scott, here's why...

RM: So I’ve introduced you as Mitchell Scott, that’s not just a pen name right?

Nope, that’s my real name. Mitchell George Scott to be exact. Three first names, three last names, just to keep it somewhat confusing.

RM: You live in Nelson, BC; did you grow up there, and if not what made you decide it was a good place to move?

I grew up on the North Shore of Vancouver actually, I moved to Nelson in 1999. I spent a lot of time here as a kid, my Great Grandfather settled in Nelson 1900 and my grandparents and dad were born and raised in Nelson. So, like, I’ve got roots eh.

RM: And so does Nelson, apparently. Can you give us an idea of what your job is and how you get ‘er done on a daily basis?

Well, it’s pretty packed. I’ve got two boys aged 11 and 6 and an office downtown so I have some space. Today I worked on our magazine, KMC, which is always ongoing, right now we’re producing a bike guide for Kootenay Rockies. I’m doing a cool project with EA Sports. I’ve got two magazine stories due in a couple of days that I’m way behind on. And I did a bunch of stuff with Kona, where I’m the global communications director. So, yeah, pretty busy. Fun stuff though.

RM: You’re a purported “adventure storyteller”, what exactly does this entail?

I am a storyteller, that’s what I do. That’s the only way I think people listen, is if you’ve got a story to tell, and that holds true across all media and messaging. I just happen to tell adventure stories the most because I think they’re the most dramatic and impactful. Think of it, “hey, I’ve got a story to tell you about an epic adventure…” Got your interest don’t I?

RM: Very John Krakauer (laughs), and undeniably intriguing. Kootenay Mountain Culture, super pristine magazine with quality content, and…whaa...free? What’s the story and who’s behind the project?

Geez, got a couple of days? In a nutshell, it’s a distribution model, one that foregoes competing on the newsstand. We built it to be quality so it can travel and last, and we give it out for free so it goes exactly where we want it…people who want it. Want to keep it, want to read it, want to tell their friends about it.

RM: How do potential advertising clients respond to your idea of a free magazine?

They get it. They understand that we’re not competing with titles like Powder and National Geographic. We make people come into stores to pick up a copy, and for brands trying to support their dealers, that’s huge.

RM: What is it about the Kootenays that has earned it the glossy homage that is KMC?

Our magazine is about mountain lifestyle. That’s how we structure the editorial. That makes it accessible to people from all over the world who love mountains. I dare anyone to present a region that encapsulates more epic mountain adventure and unique culture. There truly is no place like it on earth.

RM: You also contribute to Bike Mag, how much of your work is based in that publication?

I’ve been writing for Bike for 10 years, they gave me my first big story, what ended up being the first ever story published on the North Shore scene. I don’t write for them as much anymore because of time, but I love what they do and their commitment to mountain biking.

A sampling of the unique trail work in Nelson.

RM: When the snow flies you are a senior correspondent with Powder and a few others, is this a strictly seasonal change for you or is it all mixed in all the time?

Well, we write mountain bike stories in the winter and ski stories in the summer, all thanks to publishing deadlines. So, it’s not really a seasonal switch writing wise. Assignment wise it is, and I tell you, there ain’t nothing more fun than a Powder feature. Let’s just say they’ve sent me places….

RM: You also have the opportunity to do some different types of storytelling. Rumor has it you have been charged with the task of writing the script for Life Cycles, how did that come about?

I’ve know Derek Frankowski for a long-time, we respect each other's work a great deal. He and Ryan approached me a couple of years ago to help them out, and I jumped at the opportunity. It’s an awesome project. Those guys are mega talented, so I’m just glad to be a part of the process.

RM: As we are so entrenched in a digital revolution, do you feel that online publications are gaining steam?

No I don’t, actually. I think any magazine is going to have to have some sort of print component to it. It’s got to have some realness to it. I think sites like Pink Bike kill it, but online magazines? I don’t know, I’m not quite feeling that yet.

RM: Print obviously has a great allure to it, what would you say are the top advantages of using the print medium?

Unlike digital, which we increasingly are directed to via our social online networks, search engines, etc, print has a way of finding you. Digital can’t really do that. Especially when timing and emotion are involved. Guys like me, when I’m on the computer, I’m working, I’m not screwing around reading stuff. But when I’m in a cabin way up in the mountains, and I’ve just had the day of my life, and a couple of beers, and I find this epic magazine and read this epic story, well, that moment in time has the power to change your life. It’s big. Digital can’t really do that yet. Well, it can, but I would only say digital video storytelling can do that to a certain extent.

RM: What are some of the perks to having a bike industry job like yours, free bikes? Burritos and sushi all day everyday?

Well, fortunately in Nelson we do have a good sushi place and a good burrito place, so yeah, that’s great. As for free bikes? Only athletes get free bikes.

RM: How many days a year do you get on either a bike or a pair of skis?

Last year I skied over 50 days just with my kids. Maybe 30 more on my own. That might not be full days though. You can tour a 2500 foot shot up at WH2O and be back in town in under 3 hours. I do that a lot. Last year wasn’t a good biking year for me, but on a good year I’ll ride lots, and I do it all, road, downhill, XC, even a little DJ.

RM: Finally, what is your favorite part about what you do for a living?

I get to sleep in when I want. That’s huge.

Like what you're hearing? Free magazines? Chime in below!

Attachments