Quantcast

Wheels MBR

:help:

My lbs just called. My wheel is UNFIXABLE. I busted 4 spokes on my "handmade by Alex" wheels from my 2001 Rocky Mountain Element. I dunno - something about the little pieces stuck in the hub and they can't get them out yadda yadda. I spoke to the head mechanic, who I trust so no bashing. In fact, props to pedal power for giving me a loaner wheel to get through the holiday weekend (and until my new wheel is ready).

What can I expect to pay and what rim and hub do I want? (I really don't want to spend a ton) :nopity:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MBC - ask the guys at pedal power if they'll build you up a set.

You can go to speedgoat.com and use their wheel builder tool to get an idea of their prices and see how Pedal Power compares.

People seem to really like DT Swiss Hubs, and I think Hope Hubs offer a lot of bang for the buck too.

Rims - I'd say Mavics or DT Swiss Rims would be another good bet

Spokes - you got me there.

Here are some other sites to visit for wheelset ideas/prices:

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/17/cat17.htm?100 - Mike Garcia is the builder

http://speeddream.com/ - Dave Thomas is the builder here

I think another good option are wheelsets through the Quality Bike Parts Catalog - you can piece them together via the catalog and someone at QBP handbuilds em for ya.

You got a ton of miles out of those Rocky Mountain handbuilt wheels - they've served you well!

Time for something new, sturdy, yet light! Maybe a little bling to em as well! :dancing:

Or.........just get a whole new bike! :) Intense 5.5 hint hint!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've pretty much always had a local shop build wheels for me...sure it's more expensive, but if you know a good builder imo it's worth it.

i've had a friend who's had good luck w/ buying machine-built sets via mailorder, then de- and re-tensioning them prior to use.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I deal with wheels all day long, what is your budget? For a budget disc wheel, the WTB hubs aren't too bad but expect to change the bearings down the road if you ride in much slop. My personal pick for a mid-priced disc hub at a reasonable weight is the Hope Pro II. About the same weight as a Hugi 240s with better flange design, 5 cartridge bearings in the rear, 5 year warranty and they can be converted to different axle sizes easily. They also come in several colors if that matters to you.

Definitely go hand built and let the builder know your typical riding weight, intended use for the wheels, typical terrain, whether you ride a hardtail or full suspension, any other wheel trouble you've had in the past, etc so they can pick the best spokes and lacing pattern for you. Sounds like you are pretty easy on wheels if you got 5 years out of this set.

I'll stay out of the rim discussion for now.

splat

Nam I am
Rande ,

what type of Rim /Hub was it that you had ? hard to make a reccomendation with out knowing what you had.

Also ( since Mike B is in the isdiscussion ) do you want to Go tubless or stay tubed ?

SInce your the mechanical one in that household , maybe its time to Learn to build your own wheels ? Its not that hard , and once you learn how you will never trust anyone else to build you your own wheels.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I really like my hope bulbs. The freehub was easy to remove and regrease. Haven't messed with the bearings yet.

I also have a pair of Magura FR(relabeled dtswiss 440s). The customer service is excellent(cracked hub flanged warrantied --turnaround of ten days). The star ratchet is really easy to work on.

Have just been using mavic rims with no problem -- XC317, F519, XM321. The dt are supposed to be really nice to build, but rumored to be a little on the soft side, but probably not an issue if you are easy on parts.

I use either 14/15 of straight gauge 14 spokes with brass nipples -- dt or wheelsmith, but I weigh 230 in ride gear and am kind of a hack.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, props to our LBS for giving MBC a wheel off a "for sale" used bike so she can ride this weekend. They even put her cassette and tire on it. BTW, the bike it came off was a full suspension Litespeed. When they pulled the bike out, I said, "OOOOH, can she take the whole bike!?" and they said "SURE!" But MBC decided to just ride her Blur.

I'd have taken the Litespeed myself. :)

LBS recommended a Sun UFO rim with an XT ("type") hub. He said it's much lighter than what I have now and it's a good "entry into higher level wheelsets." So I translated that into higher quality than your average wheel but on the low end of "high end" (if that makes sense).
$170 incl labor. He said it's a $60 hub, $60 rim and the rest is labor.

Seriously, I need to learn how to build wheels.

book?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
MtnBikerChk said:
LBS recommended a Sun UFO rim with an XT ("type") hub. He said it's much lighter than what I have now and it's a good "entry into higher level wheelsets." So I translated that into higher quality than your average wheel but on the low end of "high end" (if that makes sense).
$170 incl labor. He said it's a $60 hub, $60 rim and the rest is labor.

Seriously, I need to learn how to build wheels.

book?

That's expensive for an XT wheel. You can nearly have a set for that price.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
all i know is that my xt rear hub wheel (521 rim) is appreciably the heaviest wheel in my collection, unless a big DH tire/tub is on my ringle wheel (which is usually is).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
johnbryanpeters said:
As a percentage of total system weight (bike plus rider plus gear like pack) I suspect that the difference is negligible. People pay too damn much money to gain a tiny weight advantage.
true, but why not spend some $ to get other benefits like longevity and quicker engagement?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MBC, here's my .02.

For rims, Mavics seem like the leader when you go to a more expensive rim. Their cheap rims are IMO pretty bad. Suns are OK, and DTs seem pretty soft, although you may want to consider them.

For spokes, DT/Wheelsmith is your only choice. Bad spokes = a bad wheel down the line. I would recommend a 14/15g DT Comp spoke for a blend of reliability, weight, and cost.

Go brass nipples so in a year you'll still be able to true your wheels. DT nips would be good.

For hubs, XTs are pretty damn heavy. I'd recommend Hope for the best bang-for-your buck...

Granted, these wheels would be expensive. But in 2 years then they still are going strong you'll appreciate it. Don't skimp on your wheels, that's my recommendation.