Quantcast

Wheels

J

JRB

I am riding 517s on Hope XCs which I reall like, but are a little flexy. I want beefy for everyday and would like to keep these to race and whatnot.

Should I get -

Rhyno Lite XLs on XT
Single Tracks on XT
or build these up on 519s or buy new hubs (hugi onyx or hope XCs) and lace them to 519s ???

Two sets of wheels would be nice. The XT route will be cheapest.

I weigh 200 and I am scared of anything bigger than 2 feet(that is pushing it), but it is really rocky some places I ride.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I say go with the singletracks. Some bag on them, but I had em on my pig hit for a year and a half and NEVER had a bit of trouble with them. and that's a trip to Bootleg canyon and Redbull course in Virgin. nothing wrong with em when i got rid of em either, i just wanted some Arrows so i would have the proper level of bling when i jib :D

J

JRB

Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
reuse the hubs.
I really want to keep a set of lighter wheels too. The garage gets lonely without them.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by loco-gringo
I am riding 517s on Hope XCs which I reall like, but are a little flexy. I want beefy for everyday and would like to keep these to race and whatnot.

Should I get -

Rhyno Lite XLs on XT
Single Tracks on XT
or build these up on 519s or buy new hubs (hugi onyx or hope XCs) and lace them to 519s ???

I weigh 200 and I am scared of anything bigger than 2 feet(that is pushing it), but it is really rocky some places I ride.
The mavic numbers are confusing as they have changed.

XM321 (F219 last year). I have these built up on XTR hubs. I was a little nervous about them when I got them last year. But a year later they have held up amazing well to a huge amount of abuse. They only needed to be retrued 1 time and that was about 4 rides in so it wasn't surprising. Since then they haven't moved. They have taken some huge shots as I can see the rock hits all over them.

The rim weights in around 580ish, so its heavy but not too bad.

I like shimano hubs so the XT isn't a bad choice. So get the second brand new set.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm running rhino lites, nice sturdy reliable rims, good for trail and medium sized hucks. tires mount pretty easy to them as well, something I cant say for several rims out there.

I dont thenk they are the best rim in the world for massive Red Bull style drops, but then again they arent ultra heavy either.

I'm not a big fan of the super heavy XT hubs... however in their defense I have to say that I slapped one on my rear wheel as a spare and I cant justify getting another hub because it works just fine... and its silent, unlike my last high-bing-factor hub which was a loud ass click machine even when freshly rebuilt and lubed.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by loco-gringo

Should I get -

Rhyno Lite XLs on XT
Single Tracks on XT

you must seek out the advice of the master, carlos.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just get some King ISOs built up to DT 4.1Ds. i know a local retailer that would be glad to set you up.

J

JRB

I think I am going with XT hubs on SingleTracks with DT sg 14s for $145 from Universal Cycles. They are handbuilt.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
I'm running rhino lites...... tires mount pretty easy to them as well, something I cant say for several rims out there.

You must have the ONLY PAIR in the world that are easy to mount tires on :dead:

I have two sets of them, the Rhyno Lites, and the XLs. both are stubborn as hell! Everyone else I have talked to with Sun rims says the same thing..........

Lucky!

:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by BigMike
I have two sets of them, the Rhyno Lites, and the XLs. both are stubborn as hell! Everyone else I have talked to with Sun rims says the same thing..........
No joke - I have two fronts and rear Rhyno Lite XL - and I have yet to find a tire that mounts easily. :dead:

They are sooo much hassle - I went with USTs on my favorite ride and seldom use the XLs for anything.

smash-itup

Chimp
Mar 25, 2004
scituate MA
i just bought some halo freedoms laced to shimano deore disc hubs from www.unrealcycles.com and they are awosome. you can't beat a hand built wheel. and the deore hubs are suprisingly well built for the price. they're a little heavy, but not a hardcore urban type rim, like most of halo's other rims. the wheelset complete with everything (rim strips, and skewers) was only $195 shipped what a deal. they are awesome!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sun Rims are sh!t...impossible to mount a tire on them. Go with some nice Mavic D3.1s laced to the Hugis or XT, the Hopes are sweet, but if you weigh 200, they might not be burly enough.

Originally posted by BigMike
You must have the ONLY PAIR in the world that are easy to mount tires on :dead:

Lucky!

:)
I'm so tired of people complaining about changing tires on their mtn bike, try doin it on a motorcycle, that's hard, I've gotten to the point now that I can change pretty much every mtb tire with no tools. I am sooo cool.

J

JRB

Originally posted by drtbikrr
I'm so tired of people complaining about changing tires on their mtn bike, try doin it on a motorcycle, that's hard, I've gotten to the point now that I can change pretty much every mtb tire with no tools. I am sooo cool.
I never have trouble. Try truck tires, as in big truck. That can be tough.

I ordered some XT/SingleTracks tonight. :D Even got to use Paypal so I didn't charge them.