Quantcast

Wheelset advice

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I know the topic of wheelsets has been bashed around heavily before, but I've been out of the loop on the hardware and I'm getting lost in the name changes of products from just a few years back. I'm trying to get a light wheelset on my Nicolai so I can quickly drop a few lbs for more AM/Trail rides, and still keep my Outlaws and Mins for the big stuff. I'm also considering building up a dedicated all mountain rig, and I'd like to be able to swap wheelsets, if needed.

Help a guy out with finding a wheel set either pre-built or easily pieced together that meets the following criteria:

1 - under $500 (hell, under $400 is what I'm hoping for)
2 - under 2,000 grams
3 - 20mm front hub (kinda thinking something easily converted to 15mm or QR so I can run it on a trail bike frame, if I decide to build one up).
4 - 135mm rear spacing with a 12mm axle (again, easy conversion to 10/QR is a bonus if I opt to build another frame up.

Right now, I'm liking:

Revolution AM Wheelset

The Revolution AM wheelset is our lightweight all mountain/enduro wheelset designed with performance in mind. This versatile wheelset can run a standard QR front, 15mm or 20mm thru axle to fit any fork on the market.

SPECS:
Size: 26" front and rear
Front Hub: 20mm thru axle (20mm, 15mm, QR compatible) (15mm & QR conversion kits available seperately)
Rear Hub: 135mm rear hub spacing, 10mm or 12mm interchangeable axle system. Wheelsets come standard with 10mm QR axle but nutted axles are available.
Freehub: Alloy, 3 pawl system Bearings: Sealed Cartridge (2 front, 4 rear)
Rims: Alloy 6061 with eyelets, double wall pinned, 25mm width, 32 hole
Spokes: 14/15g double butted stainless steel black
Nipples: Black Alloy
Colors: Black w/Black Hubs, White w/Black Hubs
Weight: 2070g

PRICE: $299
I'm also digging the Sun Ringle Charger on sale at PricePoint for $500
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17763-365_SUNCR8-3-Parts-75-Wheelsets/Sun-Ringle-Charger-20mm-Wheelset.htm

For all-mountain riding conditions
Black anodized, welded Equalizer 27 rims – disc brake only
Black anodized Dirty Flea hub set with sealed cartridge bearings
20mm front wheel option available with Jumping Flea front hub
Hole Count: Front 32 and rear 32
Wheelsmith DB14 double butted spokes black finish
Wheelsmith alloy nipples – black ano
1798g
^^^Not sure if I can go 12mm rear on those.

Also thinking Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic rims build, but I can never remember which Mavic rims are which.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
Here is what I'm thinking:
Hope Pro 2 On Stans ZTR Flow Rim
$225.79 rear
$139.37 front
$26.47 conversion kit to 135X12
On CRC but they only have the rear wheel in stock right now.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here is what I'm thinking:
Hope Pro 2 On Stans ZTR Flow Rim
$225.79 rear
$139.37 front
$26.47 conversion kit to 135X12
On CRC but they only have the rear wheel in stock right now.
I would do this, or DT 5.1s, from CRC.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Are the DT 5.1 rims as buttery soft as the rep in years gone by?
Yes they are ;) Unless with the new names came new stronger rims I'd stay away from dt's. It still baffles me how such a good company like dt can make such crappy rims and what's more - not upgrade them over so many years.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yes they are ;) Unless with the new names came new stronger rims I'd stay away from dt's. It still baffles me how such a good company like dt can make such crappy rims and what's more - not upgrade them over so many years.
I'd like to know exactly when the last time you (not an acquaintance) bought and rode a DT rim? Seems like your bias against them is based on an experience from years past.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd like to know exactly when the last time you (not an acquaintance) bought and rode a DT rim? Seems like your bias against them is based on an experience from years past.
Yes my experiance was from long ago(ever had a tire fly of your rim mid air and be forced to land tube only? It really helps develop grudges) but I know one person who is very light and wanted to use 5.1's/1750s as race only rims. Didn't really take them long. I've heard some rumors that 5.1's and 6.1's but I'm still to meet someone to confirm it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I agree last time I made a rim suggestion he lambasted me for suggesting 5.1's. Granted I'm pretty light 155ish so I can get away with running lighter stuff. That being said I don't always choose the smoothest lines, race often, and crash a lot, and 1 set of 5.1's lasted me a season and will be coming back for another, several other guys I know have success with them as well and only usually go through 1 rear in a whole season of riding. Granted I also know guys that can blow up a set of 823's in a weekend which is generally regarded as one of the strongest rims around so I'm not saying they are for everyone but they have their benefits and are still one of the lightest rims around.

Sicklines weights:
DT 5.1 laced to 20mm Hope ProII - 889gms
DT 5.1 laced to 150mm Hope ProII - 1007 (obviously a 135 would be even lighter) thats 1896gms for a real tough AM setup and a light duty DH setup and considering this setup can be built for around $500 pretty good deal. The Hope hubs are pretty loud so some people hate them, but they come in pretty colors lots of sizes and are relatively inexpensive.

I've heard good things about the Stans ZTR Flow as well, its even lighter than the 5.1 and tubeless compatible.