Quantcast

wheelsets

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm starting to look at a new wheelset for my SS. Considering it is a SS, and for the time being a rigid, should I be looking at a slightly stronger wheelset than I run on my FS trail bike? Do SS/rigid wheelsets take more abuse due to the lack of suspension?

I run DT Onyx hubs and DT 4.1d hoops on my trail bike which I've been pretty happy with (the rims more so than the hubs, but...), but I was thinking about trying the FSA XC-300s on my SS.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jackson - do you want to use a spacer kit on a standard set of wheels, or do you want a wheelset that features a cassette style ss rear wheel, or a traditional SS rear wheel - that takes threaded cogs vs. cassette style cogs?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think a true SS wheel will be stronger as it will be dish-less....but that's just me commenting as a hack. I'm sure others will be able to offer more solid opinions/recommendations.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
jackson - do you want to use a spacer kit on a standard set of wheels, or do you want a wheelset that features a cassette style ss rear wheel, or a traditional SS rear wheel - that takes threaded cogs vs. cassette style cogs?
lol... I understood the part about spacers as that's what I'm doing now. The rest of it just sounded like jibberish to me - got any pics so I can see what you're talking about?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'll try

see these Surly Hubs -

you thread a rear cog onto them.

Cassette Style SS hubs have the ability to use splined cogs and offer some chainline adjustbility.

Here's a good example and a fine hub to boot!

I think there is a thread on them in this forum.

HOpe that helps a little.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What's the difference between a cassette style SS hub and a "traditional" hub, like what I have on my trail bike? I'm guessing they don't need spacers, but what holds the cog in place?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The cassette style SS hub can't accept a full 8 or 9 speed cassette, but it does give you the ability to run cassette style cogs and also gives you chainline adjustability.

Also, some people use them to run multiple cogs in back for "dingle speeds" or even some people throw three or four cogs on them for simple 1x3 or 1x4 drivetrains.

See this thread for lots of examples.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103602