Quantcast

Wheelsets....

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Don't think you can gpo wrong with the Crossmax's.I ran the old ones and now run the new SL's and they have all been problem free.You can build lighter ones but i like the reliabilty.Just my 2 cents.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Go with CaneCreek wheels for sure get the zonos. I just got a pair of the team ti version and they are godly. Blue anodized, titanium spokes so nice.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
[spam]
If you want light race wheels, it doesn't get any lighter than some ZTR355s built on your choice of WTB, Hugi, or King hubs. Disc wheels can weigh as little as 1380g. They are race proven by some of the best and can be ordered direct or through your shop.

More info here or drop me a PM.
[/spam]

Prior to our rims coming out, I rode 317/Hugi 240 combo for 3 years at 170 lbs and only had to do the normal truing/tensioning. I think that setup with DT double butted spokes and alloy nipples was in the 1650g range. I say that going with a traditional (not a pre-built wheelset) hand build from a reputable builder will serve you well. You may want to check with Dave Thomas at speedreams.com or Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com, both build excellent wheels and Dave stocks some of our rims.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Check out http://www.oddsandendos.com and give Mike a call if you want. I bought a set of Velocity VXC rims laced to WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs last year for around $330 and the combined weight is under 1600 grams. I knocked off at least 2.5 lbs when I replaced my RhinoLite/LX wheels with these. I rode them hard all last year and they're still true. Mike builds all his wheels by hand and does an exceptional job.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I'm going XTR laced up to Mavic 717 disc.

My buddy here at the shop has Cross Max, which I love. But rebuilding them will be a biatch, because I'm looking for a long term wheelset for now.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Arsbars
I'm going XTR laced up to Mavic 717 disc.

My buddy here at the shop has Cross Max, which I love. But rebuilding them will be a biatch, because I'm looking for a long term wheelset for now.
I always knew you were smart.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm still a big fan of having normal 32 spoke wheels built, it gives you so many more options, hubs, spokes, rims, etc.

easier to get replacements, I know guys here who got Crossmax's oem, and then had to wait months for spare spokes, cos the agents never had stock !!

cant go wrong with mavics.....717's is tat a disc rime like the old 317 or normal 517's.....have had both, wesome rims no doubt

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Chris Kings laced to Mavic 517's with DT Comp spokes.

Classic.
Another vote for Chris King. I beat on a set of Classics laced with a Bontrager Valiant Asym rear rim and a Mustang front rim, with 14/17g spokes (3x) and alloy nipples for years.

Never underestimate the strength, weight and reliability of good wheel parts put together by a good builder. Plus, replacement spokes are easy to come by if needed.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by rockracing
I'm still a big fan of having normal 32 spoke wheels built, it gives you so many more options, hubs, spokes, rims, etc.

easier to get replacements, I know guys here who got Crossmax's oem, and then had to wait months for spare spokes, cos the agents never had stock !!

cant go wrong with mavics.....717's is tat a disc rime like the old 317 or normal 517's.....have had both, wesome rims no doubt
717 is the 2004 replacement to the 517's.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Ian F
Another vote for Chris King. I beat on a set of Classics laced with a Bontrager Valiant Asym rear rim and a Mustang front rim, with 14/17g spokes (3x) and alloy nipples for years.

Never underestimate the strength, weight and reliability of good wheel parts put together by a good builder. Plus, replacement spokes are easy to come by if needed.
:stupid:

Crossmax's are nice but a lot of the weight is in the rim making it feel heavier. I have a pair of Crossmax's and King/Valiants. They weigh the same but the Kings feel quicker and have been much more reliable.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Build your own! Best race wheels I ever had were built by John Kovachi in 1994, And they are still true and haven't broken a spoke!

right now I'd build:

King disc hubs 3x with 2.0/1.8's and alloy nipples on 517's for disc wheels.

King classic hubs 3x with revolutions and alloy nipples on 517's for non-disc wheels.

As long as you wheel builder builds em tight enough you shouldn't see significant spoke breakage with the revo's. If you use the 1.8/1.5 dd or revo spokes it would be an excellent idea to shim the spoke heads to prevent breakage there as well.

I don't like disc-specific rims, when the weight difference is only 5 grams I'd rather have the ability to run v-brakes in a pinch, or when I need to on an older non-disc bike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ah, but theres the sexiness factor of having no ugly braking surface...

I bought my latest wheels with no information and based soley on the sex factor (Vuelta Airline 1s with 24h). MISTAKE. They're actually not too heavy, but they have a roadie looking aero rim, so the weight is all at the rim. The spokes are flat and its a pain to get new ones, I've just been replacing them with regular spokes. If I could do it over, I'd get some 517s laced to whatever hub you like. In a 32h version.