Quantcast

When airline pilots decide to have a "little fun" at 41,000 ft

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It just goes to show that you can take the 'neck out of the woods, but not the woods out of the 'neck.

"Uh-HUH, uh-HUH! Lookee here...Check it out!"

You'd think they were college-aged tourists in a rental car! :rolleyes:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I guess a couple of people skipped the day where the effects of high altitude (low reynolds number) on super critical airfoils was taught in aerodynamics class............. :o:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Andyman_1970 said:
Remember these are the same folks who fly you around on those commuter jets........making about $12 an hour.............. :rolleyes:
I can first hand testify to that.

These guy must have been complete dillholes. To flame an engine out at flight level 410 and not be able to either restart an engine or find an alternate airport with 41,000 ft to spare is unreal in my book. THE FIRST THING you do as a pilot when that happens is to find an airport, field, freeway, baseball field, anything away from population. These numbnuts tried to make their original destination. I see almost half of the people in my flight school that have no business EVER getting into a cockpit. I am right now involved in a NTSB investigation involving some friends of my wife. They were killed a year ago while on a site seeing tour over the grand canyon. The father was flying his new hotrod airplane doing steep turns and the plane came apart. In a few weeks when it offically goes on the record I have to tell the family that it WAS his fault and he payed the ultimate price. His daughter, wife and future son-in-law were also on-board. The couple was to be married in Vegas the next day. The pilots I work with at the Reno Air Races are the best in the world. Some are in history/record books. They take chances like this once a year. At the air races!!! Glad I get to learn from them.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Whenever someone who has my life in their ill-equipped hands, the last thing I want them to say is "Dude!" ...... Just like I don't want a surgeon with a southern accent to say "What we're gonna do here is clean out all the ugggly stuff with this here tool...then we'll patchya back up nice n' purdy!!"......

Darwin Award just got awarded!!!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Everytime I get on a plane, I always wonder how component the pilots are...there has been a few who have got in the pilot's seat drunk...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
blt2ride said:
Everytime I get on a plane, I always wonder how component the pilots are...there has been a few who have got in the pilot's seat drunk...
No way do you have any idea how strict they are about that. It takes about 10-20 years of school, getting flight time, working crappy jobs flying rubber dog poop. You get caught flying drunk and it all goes away... For Life!!!

J

JRB

blt2ride said:
I will say that I'll take a Chris King pilot over an FSA pilot any day. :thumb:

J

JRB

Andyman_1970 said:
Remember these are the same folks who fly you around on those commuter jets........making about $12 an hour.............. :rolleyes:
Last time I flew on a commuter, they banked like mad to circle the airport. It was like he forgot he wasn't in the Navy any more. I was actually just planning to crash. It sucked. :angry:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
loco said:
Last time I flew on a commuter, they banked like mad to circle the airport. It was like he forgot he wasn't in the Navy any more. I was actually just planning to crash. It sucked. :angry:
Yeah but once you enter the pattern or holding pattern of an airport you are at the mercy of air traffic control. Get into a busy area and it get damn scary even for the pilot in command. LA Basin is SUPER. Over 20 different airports in a VERY small area. It's like playing dodge ball with a Cessna. Rent the movie pushing tin. That will make you not want to fly for awhile.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dhtahoe said:
Yeah but once you enter the pattern or holding pattern of an airport you are at the mercy of air traffic control. Get into a busy area and it get damn scary even for the pilot in command. LA Basin is SUPER. Over 20 different airports in a VERY small area. It's like playing dodge ball with a Cessna. Rent the movie pushing tin. That will make you not want to fly for awhile.

Back in about 1986, I used to go flying with a friend of mine who was taking flying lessons out of Oxnard/Ventura and I'd go with him. My job was to spot planes and call traffic. It was crazy busy back then and I imagine it is even worse now.

J

JRB

dhtahoe said:
Pushing Tin was great. Killeen is tiny. There were no other birds in the air. I didn't even see any Army choppers flying after we landed. We just approached wrong. Oh well, I am alive to argue about it on the Internet, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I personaly would have bailed,
gotta give them props for trying to stick the landing!

stinkyboy said:
627,015 Pinkbike feet
the proper conversion formula is
(depending on the going exchange rate)
1FT = 14.268PBF the correct answer would have been 584,988PBF