Quantcast

WHEN and WHAT do you guys eat before race or hard ride?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I eat Subway (a 12" sub) 2-3 hours before a race and eat about an hour or two before hard rides and I always eat an energy bar while I'm riding. While racing I eat Powerbars during practice.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Before racing I usually have a fragile belly because of the nerves. So I don't think I could consume a 12" sub.
I go with a yogurt, pastry, coffee, and water. and tums.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
dante said:
bacon egg & cheese on a bagel, large coffee. wash it down with a monster, down some gu right before hand and you're ready to go! :thumb:
I perfer to eat babies before I race.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
nights before long rides, I load up on more complex carbs and get hydrated. Its always good to get carbs into the system before you start feeling hungry tired. gotta replace glycogen.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I usually eat pretty light before a race run. Typically, I'll eat a bagel and a banana or an apple in the morning. Right before my run, I drink a water bottle full of Cytomax and bottle of water...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I guess I've usually hittin pancakes or a plate of spaghetti before I race, but I always seem to do it too close to race time, and I only eat that because it sounds good. My VERY first DH race was in Crested Butte, CO, we drove 16 hours one way to get there and we were so broke all we could afford was our campsite and one bag of bacon...to last 4 days! THAT was fun... actually, it kinda was!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Sun Chips

Which if I have it my way, will be one of our team's sponsors next year.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mmmm, I always have Sun Chips when I eat at Subway :drool:. A fat turkey sandwich and Sun Chips and H20. :drool:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Bicyclist said:
Mmmm, I always have Sun Chips when I eat at Subway :drool:. A fat turkey sandwich and Sun Chips and H20. :drool:
I swear to god there are drugs laced in Sun Chips aka crack crackers.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Bicyclist said:

The cheddar ones are like crack. It starts with one small bag at Togo’s, and then the next thing you know, you’re at the supermarket buying a huge bag of them…

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
omlettes with ham, cheese, and whatever else is in the kitchen. Topped off with and english muffin with peanut butter (extra crunchy please) and washed down with plenty of O.J. mmmmmmm... ... .
Fig Newtons during the ride, with gatorade.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
blt2ride said:
The cheddar ones are like crack. It starts with one small bag at Togo’s, and then the next thing you know, you’re at the supermarket buying a huge bag of them…
I must try these sun chips. Sounds like a better addiction than my current one, and no needles too!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yes, Sun Chips and redbull. HOWEVER... for a typical, spur of the moment "let's go kill it for a few hours" type ride, NOTHING beats Taco Johns. 3 hardshells with hotsauce and sour cream and a medium Mtn Dew.... Oh buddy....! I could burb that up all day long and never mind a bit!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
noname said:
I must try these sun chips. Sounds like a better addiction than my current one, and no needles too!
Needles are cheap and you can find used ones behind Zedros house. :)

Pancakes and bacon for me the morning of. Spaghetti the night before.

For long ride days I fill the hydration pack with I one Red Bull, one large Gatorade, ice, and water. Powerbars and trailmix during the ride. I ride all day. I hate it when people have to stop for water and food. I want to ride.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey kanter: I just finished off my new quickie bike/bed rack. This is what I said SHOULD easily work for you. My Demo 8 didn't fit where my little Yeti did, so I had to revamp. Didn't want to dig that old thread up, so I'll just poach my own! I'm going to lose the wingnutand replace it with a valve spring and an adjusting nut instead, that way it's even quicker on the grab-and-go.
Yeah, it needs paint, i know! But I've been busy. The only thing that sucks about it is that I have to mount it with wingnuts and yank it out when I want the tonneau cover down(snow). Won't be much of an issue and atleast I CAN still remove it when I need to haul something. Fits four bikes, none touch each other, just turn the bars and you're set.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yep! I thought it was kinda silly at first, but now... Hell yeah! Threw a front derailleur on it at the same time and the damn thing's a trail bike. A 48 pound trailbike, but a trailbike nontheless!
OK...back to our regularly scheduled program....

L

luelling

maybe some salad, lots of water and energy bars and drinks. I tend to eat light becuase of nerves and it makes me sick to race if my belly is full. I try and eat a good carb loaded meal with some meat the night before....a couple of beers never hurt either :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
blt2ride said:
Hell yeah, I know how it works. I eat huge bags in one sitting. :drool: I :love: sunchips! God damn, I'm making myself hungry.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I eat a little bit all day and usually during practice I eat **** hard once or twice! Ouch!

Seriously, I always try to eat a little something after a hard ride (or practice) to to (hopefully) help with recuperation.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Something yall might consider trying is Vega, which is a powder (certified) meal replacement that you mix with water. There are a number of benefits to taking this approach: fully vegan, all organic, provides you with the complete spectrum of nurients you need, reduces nutitional stress, easily assimilated.

The part about nutritional stress is pretty interesting. When you put yourself under high intensity physical stress, you want to minimize the energy used to derive energy from your food. If you are processing solid foods, you are wasting energy. Gu type products are great for giving you a jolt, but they won't last. Since I assume many of you train, which involves sustained efforts (especially riding xc and road), you need more than gus can provide. If you take stress off your whole system by taking one meal a day that is in liquid form, you free up resources to recover from training sessions, crashes, other stresses etc.

Vega can be found at good health food stores. You can give it a try first by picking up an individual serving size pouch. you will probably find it expensive, but I can assure you, it is more economical than making your own batch (I have done the math). The original flavour is not exactly tasty, but the chocolate and berry are pretty good...you get used to it.

One final note. Vega was designed over a number of years by Brendan Brazier, a professional triathlete with a strong science background. If any of you are interested in learning more about nutrition I recommend his concise and inexpensive book, "Thrive". I learned a lot, and can say putting his insights into practice has allowed my to move up a notch in my performance. Nutrition really is vital to good performances, especially when you consider the ways in which what you eat can impact brain chemistry - which will translate into ability to process information, reaction time, focus...

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Oh yeah, take Vega about an hour or so beforehand. And also, consider the amount of money and care you invest in your racing and riding, then consider the care you invest in your nutrition. Seems logical to try to equalize these aspects of your experience.

Feb 13, 2006
as you start to do longer rides eating proper food for fueling and recovery becomes more important. it also becomes more important if you're not someone who inherited genes that enable top cardio and muscular performance by eating junk food, and it becomes more important as you get older too. I'm 45 and while I'm in the best fitness and mileage shape of my life, I also recover slower and have lousier riding experiences if I'm not fueled well before, during and after a ride.

I don't race any more but I do long rides often. my usual ride during riding season is a minimum 2.5 hrs, on weekends they're usually 4-6 hrs.

for longer rides or harder efforts on shorter rides, I tend to eat lots of pasta the night before, eat cereal and some sort of bread along with yerba mate and some espresso the morning of the ride, and be really well hydrated at least 1.5 days before.

during the ride it helps to have salty fatty sugary snacks. I like cashews and various Clif bars along with some trail mixes. for short energy bursts I use brown rice syrup, much cheaper than power gels, same basic fuel. a true sang-weesh (as my brother calls them) made of PB&J is good to have on the long rides, as are figs, bananas, fig newtons. Vitamin I (ibuprofen) in ready supply is wise too.

for bonk scares the brown rice syrup, figs, bananas are crucial.

I've tried spirulina capsules when I've bonked and they have made me feel spunkier. don't know if that is a placebo effect or not, but I'm not the only person who seems to get this from spirulina. those also might be worth taking along for anti-bonk. you can get spirulina capsules at most health food sorts of stores.

after the ride the salts are pretty important. hydrate too of course, and you can hydrate with beer as long as you remember beer's a diuretic. (?!)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Before every ride Sam Hill eats 16 Holstein cows, an industrial drum filled with 500 raw eggs, a copy of “Barbara Streisands’ Greatest Hits”, an Olive Loaf, a Volkswagen bus, and a rejected contestant from American Idol.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
S.K.C. said:
Before every ride Sam Hill eats 16 Holstein cows, an industrial drum filled with 500 raw eggs, a copy of “Barbara Streisands’ Greatest Hits”, an Olive Loaf, a Volkswagen bus, and a rejected contestant from American Idol.
ahahahaha!:rofl: