Quantcast

When did fox factory 36 ace pinch bolts on axle?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yep. thank gawd. because when you hamfist it and crack the pinch bolt area, you have to get new lowers.
A kid I know is looking to get one from a guy who claims it's a 2018...but it has a QR axle but it's pinch bolt and can be made 20x110 or 15x110....

I told him I'd find out for sure..
So I assume all pinch bt stopped in 2017?

Was going over it with a kid I'm trying to help direct building up a Enduro bike and a guy selling him one he asked me and I tried to look but seemed there was some discrepancy

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
yep. thank gawd. because when you hamfist it and crack the pinch bolt area, you have to get new lowers.

I had a number of them and they always had the stainless steel round piece that the small bolt would thread into. So it never made contact with the actual lower. Also, 20mm is way better than 15mm

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well after looking and helping him I found a 2017 36 180mm and grabbed it got it for a "can't pass price" from a buddy..it's 15mm non pinch and the 2020 36 is the same non pinch...now I'm wanting pinch 20mm since I didn't know they made em till 2018...

I do agree being carefully with pinch area, but I was confused with going to 15mm from 20mm...

I am buying a MRP D insert for the 2017 to give it a bigger negative chamber and separate em to be smoother....ANY thoughts on MRP #D???

Screenshot_20210708-214202_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20210708-214150_Gmail.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Well after looking and helping him I found a 2017 36 180mm and grabbed it got it for a "can't pass price" from a buddy..it's 15mm non pinch and the 2020 36 is the same non pinch...now I'm wanting pinch 20mm since I didn't know they made em till 2018...

I do agree being carefully with pinch area, but I was confused with going to 15mm from 20mm...

I am buying a MRP D insert for the 2017 to give it a bigger negative chamber and separate em to be smoother....ANY thoughts on MRP #D???

View attachment 162052View attachment 162053
I'd skip anything with the "Ramp control" words in its name. Why not Vorsprung Luftkappe? Works pretty good in my 36.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'd skip anything with the "Ramp control" words in its name. Why not Vorsprung Luftkappe? Works pretty good in my 36.
The D is supposed to separate positive and negative seal. As well as put a Schrader on lower leg so negative chamber can be adjusted...better small bump since I know the damper will work well...that's the primary reason I'm interested in it and I can twist it on of I'm doing drops or hammering stuff high speed and twist it back forost.other riding...primarily it will be off...I prefer a larger can and more linear feel...

As far as vorsprung till real recently I hadn't heard of em...and till a few minutes from now never looked em up...I'll search as soon as I post this..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So thoughts on which one to run...
(Not E-site review first ride etc stuff, actually use and time on from a riders standpoint)

Fox 36 dampers....top end different years
1- 2020 Grip 2 VS rc2 fit 2017
Which is a better platform

2- air side Evol vs older with fulfill MRP
Which is a better platform

What is the thoughts on this...

What I can dig up is rc2 is tuneable and can be worked on....grip 2 is pretty locked down but has a wide range on its own

Obvious rc2 has only 1 rebound vs grip 2

Which air system is better and why? Is it negated by a fulfill and separating the positive negative on the 2017 to where they are close to performance
20210711_112648.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-124059_OfferUp.jpg

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So I have two forks with an adjustable negative system and....
They are finicky to get consistent.
The self charging are more consistent AND CONVENIENT

The adjustment on the negative is about like this.
Too little negative pressure goes clunk on top out.
Too much negative packs up and basically makes a shorter travel fork with a vague maximum extention

I mean you get to use float oil instead of grease and your o ring doesn't slide over a divot 10k times a ride but.... its just meh.

To use a fulfill kit you need a evol 1 fork with no notch they had the transfer rod.

I made a bootleg luftkappe/fulfill contraption by shortening a 180mm air shaft and using a top out spacer to stay above the transfer port in an evol 2 but this really only works for like 160 or so mm travel.

The dampers.
The grip 2 is a fancification of a grip 1,
It uses a preloaded stack on a degressive piston.
I wasn't impressed. Went back to a rc2
The newest grip 2 uses a better platform but it's too soft overall. Needs a dose of MOAR SHIMZ.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So I'll have to battle the air a bit till I get it right...
I'll start 8 to 11psi over positive...I run 90psi plus on top...

Yeah I heard the rc2 can be tuned, my other is a grip 2 but 2020 so it's pre 2021 and the changes they made to mid speed...I could also slap the rc2 damper I'm that chasis to play around if the fulfill sucks...can't imagine it will... realistically I cant see small bump screwing with me too much my weight will push through initial stiction ....

Air is usually 10psi before it decides to move so 10 psi or within +- 1 to 2 psi...just thinking out loud if this sounds right by all means let me know

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So I'll have to battle the air a bit till I get it right...
I'll start 8 to 11psi over positive...I run 90psi plus on top...

Yeah I heard the rc2 can be tuned, my other is a grip 2 but 2020 so it's pre 2021 and the changes they made to mid speed...I could also slap the rc2 damper I'm that chasis to play around if the fulfill sucks...can't imagine it will... realistically I cant see small bump screwing with me too much my weight will push through initial stiction ....

Air is usually 10psi before it decides to move so 10 psi or within +- 1 to 2 psi...just thinking out loud if this sounds right by all means let me know
I was blocking the wheel at full extention and adjusting the pressure. But I have found that pumping to a distance is the most repeatable, flip the bike upside down add negative till the fork is into the travel say 0.250". You push the oring to the seal, then pull the wheel up to top out and measure the the distance from the oring to the seal.

Trying to go by pressure without a block is pissing up a rope.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I was blocking the wheel at full extention and adjusting the pressure. But I have found that pumping to a distance is the most repeatable, flip the bike upside down add negative till the fork is into the travel say 0.250". You push the oring to the seal, then pull the wheel up to top out and measure the the distance from the oring to the seal.

Trying to go by pressure without a block is pissing up a rope.
Thank you man...bypassing pissing in the wind sounds great...appreciate it....

Kind of excited to mess with it...I know what the new one feels like but not the modded older one...I'll probably look up shim stacks and play with tuning...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Thank you man...bypassing pissing in the wind sounds great...appreciate it....

Kind of excited to mess with it...I know what the new one feels like but not the modded older one...I'll probably look up shim stacks and play with tuning...
Foar Mongo sized rider add 1 moar face shimz to base valvz

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i tried to slap the 2017 rc2 damper into my 2020 fork that came with a basic grip and the bladder was toooooo fat for the internal diameter of the newer fork so i bought a grip 2 damper and threw it in. i thought i could make the swap but somewhere in a thread on here we realized why the internal diameters were different. fuck if i can find it tho...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i tried to slap the 2017 rc2 damper into my 2020 fork that came with a basic grip and the bladder was toooooo fat for the internal diameter of the newer fork so i bought a grip 2 damper and threw it in. i thought i could make the swap but somewhere in a thread on here we realized why the internal diameters were different. fuck if i can find it tho...
That's good to know...at least its 1 less option I have lol....

Wonder why they reduced ID...
I know fox float and pre float 40 has different size ID on stanchions ....

I think between the fulfill and maybe redoing shim stack it will be pretty dialed....I'll just pull the 2020 off and keep it as back up or maybe ride one for a bit swap and ride the other get a feel for both... Fork whoring right now...put em for sale and don't want to sell em so I'll pull em back down...I want both one for my right hand one for my left hand...they are my twix in life right now...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The old ones were oring then threads, new are threads then oring

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
ODDBALL ?

Fork sits overnight , go to push on it and it feels locked out...then it breaks free and flows beautifully...smooth even if it sits for an hour or so...

Let it sit a few hours or overnight and it's got that initial locked out feeling..only 1/4" or less it's just a break away and it is smooth after that

Stored fork upside down, opened up comp cycled closed comp cycled no change....it's definitely air side
..leaks NO air, it acts Like a dry piston initially sticking then breaking free..

Mrp ramp control will be here with fulfill later this week...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
ODDBALL ?

Fork sits overnight , go to push on it and it feels locked out...then it breaks free and flows beautifully...smooth even if it sits for an hour or so...

Let it sit a few hours or overnight and it's got that initial locked out feeling..only 1/4" or less it's just a break away and it is smooth after that

Stored fork upside down, opened up comp cycled closed comp cycled no change....it's definitely air side
..leaks NO air, it acts Like a dry piston initially sticking then breaking free..

Mrp ramp control will be here with fulfill later this week...
Again the ramp controll is a flawed concept.
Restricting airflow between two chambers is a bad plan.

This is the right way

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Btw thanks for the tips it's helping get me back up to speed quickly...

That's pretty badass...wouldn't I need to still separate the air chambers via fulfill on the 2017?

It was supposed to be here and we were at redwoods...back now so it's gonna get here Friday...

I like that dual chamber system that's a pretty cool way to give it bottom out...add air chambers versus poet holes allowing flow

So the fulfill should take that initial stiction out..

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
ODDBALL ?

Not negative air leak? Sounds like air spring service either way.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Mine had a slightly too big quad seal on the air piston. I went for a smaller diameter so that it would stretch more and give a smaller cross section. I don't remember the numbers but I have posted them somewhere here a few years ago

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Original is q214 and I went for a q213

Check that post. The whole thread might be worth a read too

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I can see how on one hand dividing air pressure can be a hassle if you change pressure for varied trails....self equalizing in a reliable platform would be the best.....I use my upper body to handle nastier hits a bit so I don't fiddle with rate alot...usually find my happy medium and just ride from that baseline

.I really really like that design though for a dual pressure cartridge....that's actually pretty clever and forward thinking.....I may go that route to try one out after I have ironed this path out to what I think is its peak for me..
I will contact him and get some info,

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I can see how on one hand dividing air pressure can be a hassle if you change pressure for varied trails....self equalizing in a reliable platform would be the best.....I use my upper body to handle nastier hits a bit so I don't fiddle with rate alot...usually find my happy medium and just ride from that baseline

.I really really like that design though for a dual pressure cartridge....that's actually pretty clever and forward thinking.....I may go that route to try one out after I have ironed this path out to what I think is its peak for me..
I will contact him and get some info,
Take a look at the Vorsprung Secus. It achieves a close to linear spring rate but retains self equalization.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Take a look at the Vorsprung Secus. It achieves a close to linear spring rate but retains self equalization.
That's pretty cool enlarge negative side so it has more compression to ramp....seems like they went 2 different directions to get to a similar effect ..the dual air with preload on the other seems to have more adjustability withif and bottom out and allow a little on initial...

Vorsprung seems to be more for initial and suppleness...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That's pretty cool enlarge negative side so it has more compression to ramp....seems like they went 2 different directions to get to a similar effect ..the dual air with preload on the other seems to have more adjustability withif and bottom out and allow a little on initial...

Vorsprung seems to be more for initial and suppleness...
It also has a valve that manages pressure as the fork moves through it's stroke - it's not just an enlarged negative chamber.