Quantcast

when did lycra become passe?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
thank god.

ive noticed a few years ago, when i showed to bike rides, i was the only sporting actual shorts in my bike rides... most people (regardless of fitness and fat %) were in spandex...

now, even the most hardcore spandex cowboys cover their bacon with shorts (except for the few obligatory weight weenie geezers).

what was it? public shame? some iconic moment in racing/bike videos?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still rock the spandex often. For temps over 50 F it is simply the best tool for the job unless I plan on crashing a lot. I couldn't care less what other think, if you think I am some kind of wanker because of what I wear when I ride I probably will not like you anyway. From an aesthetic standpoint it marginally less ridiculous than some of the clown pajamas some people wear.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Horses for courses. Only wankers wear baggies on a road bike. Crashing on your mtb in $150 lycra really sucks so the baggies actually perform a function.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I wear skinsuits most of the time for XC. I started wearing them as a light hearted joke until I saw all the wank stares from the baggy bros in the parking lot. Fvck the scene, and people who think gear = your ability to shred. I wear them 9 out of 10 rides these days.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I still rock the spandex often. For temps over 50 F it is simply the best tool for the job unless I plan on crashing a lot. I couldn't care less what other think, if you think I am some kind of wanker because of what I wear when I ride I probably will not like you anyway. From an aesthetic standpoint it marginally less ridiculous than some of the clown pajamas some people wear.
To be fair - you *are* a geezer, no?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Eh, who cares. I am not old (28), but wear lycra on all road rides and most mountain rides. It's generally more comfortable due to better materials and construction of the liners in baggies compared to good lycra shorts. Also, I like my bibs. Seriously, why do you care so much and what's so bad about what most people know as "bike shorts"?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I protest the moose knuckle. Even when I was skinny, out of respect for others, I'd case my lycra clad tool in a pair of baggies. No one needs to see Little Elvis like that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
+rep and it's no worse than DHers rocking matching helmets, gloves, jerseys, and moto pants.

I wear teh spandex on hot days when I'm doing lots of miles. It just works better! Look at my ass!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah, I will admit to still workng the spandex on certain rides...mostly single speed trips, definitely on road rides. Still love bibs for the support, will run a pair of baggeis over them if METT-TC dictates.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I suppose there is nothing wrong with noticing what other dudes are wearing if you're into that sort of thing....

Whether I wear spandex or baggies, I'm slow either way so who cares.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All of my baggies have tears or holes in them. All my old spandex that have tears or holes in them are underneath. It allows me to visit the playground after a ride with my kids without police intervention.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I always wear my lycra under some shorts. Nobody deserves to see my goofy body wrapped up in something that tight.