Quantcast

When did Winter Park become..

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Mountain Bike Capitol USA?? How did they even get this title?

I know everything I have heard about Winter Park has said the trails are mediocre. I have only really talked about DH. Does winter park have some amazing XC trail system?

I am thinking this is just some marketing ploy, that all the resorts do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
self-proclaimed title. I mean, who officially hands out titles anyway? But I believe they back it up well. They have awesome xc trails, like 500+ miles worth. They host a summer xc bike race series that's quite fun.

I love it there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Their XC trail system is decent. Not great, but pretty good. Most of the system is shorter singletrack bits connected by FS roads. We've done a number of loops up there and while definitely fun, I'd say that Summit Co. blows them away. YMMV.

NORTON

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Littleton CO
it's a marketing thing, it's their copyrighted slogan:) but personally I really like WP, it's a great break from Keystone and Vail when it comes to lift riding, season pass is only $99. Trails are very easy but fun and never crowded. There's a huge amount of XC trails all over town, if that's your cup of tea. The (few) ones I've done were very scenic but not very tech.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
as others have said, it's a self proclaimed title.

huge amount of riding in that valley. a decent amount of fun techy stuff, but with lots of climbing needed to get to it; at least the stuff i've done. if you want some long ass high elevation stuff, there are plenty of trails up there to do. the WP DH course was great back in the day, but it's pretty mellow and tame by more modern stuff. i hit everything there pretty easily on my hardtail. the one truly kick ass trail on the mountain (at least as of last summer) is mountain goat, and it's a long climb up to, and not by the lift the operate in summer at all.

that said, i was up there riding late last fall, and the WP folks were building new trail like mad. lots of wooden stuff going in. i was told by some of the crew i spoke with that some of the same folks responsible for some of the whistler stuff were now in charge of trail development at WP. best part? they said the end goal in 1-3 years was to have it be "Whistler lite" in Colorado. they ahd a few things built that were fun, and several of the normal trails were closed off for whatever they were working on.

i saw a lot of half built stunt looking things about mid mountain level, and the trail crew had a couple of pretty big travel bikes along.

keystone could have some serious competition going on for the "best lift assisted close to denver" title in the next year or so.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Winter Park and Copper are owned by intrawest, the same company that owns whistler and snowshoe. Their plan was to make Winter Park the premier downhill spot in Colorado. Unfortunately around here the park service owns all the land that the ski resorts sit on, and despite having free reign to clearcut ski trails, and build lifts, lodges, and condo's, the douche bags at the park service make it a headache to get anything built in terms of mountain bike trails. Theyre working on it, but the going is slow. One of these days WP is going to be a sweet spot.

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
they have called themselves that for years. it's nothing new.

they are also talking about the trails arounnd the town, not just on the mountain. there are hundreds of miles. and all the ones that i have ridden have been very fun and entertaining.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
wp is currently in a 3 year project to get themselves up to speed with the gravity crowd. there is only so much that can be done because of red tape and getting clearance from 39 different sources to get stuff done but they are trying. this next season will be a little better... and the year after that will hopefully see some more improvement and then who knows from there.