Quantcast

When do I Need a New Headset

Ok when ever I turn my bars even if im not sitting on my bike I hear a whole bunch of little creaks from the headset. I think i may have gotten dirt in it but its just a little Aheadset and I've been reallly hard on my bike. Do I need a new headset.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
DROP said:
well thanx for wishing me well but how could I check if its ovalized. Ive never really screwed up anything besides components.
you should get a new headset anyways, and the shop will tell you when they put it in, or try to do so.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You'll know it's ovalized if you can turn the cups themselves in the headtube by hand. If you can't, it's fine it just needs a regrease or, at worst, new bearings.

First give it a good cleaning and repack it with heavy grease. If you can, pull the seals from the bearings (usually a very small flathead screwdriver works) and make sure they get cleaned and repacked. If that doesn't do it, buy new bearings either from the manufacturer or from a bearing supply (assuming it's a cartridge-style headset). You may have to have a shop press out the old ones and press in the new ones.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, frankly I've never seen the point of real expensive headsets, other than as a pose item. Semi decent ones are more than adequate. Hubs on the other hand...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Changleen said:
Yeah, frankly I've never seen the point of real expensive headsets, other than as a pose item. Semi decent ones are more than adequate. Hubs on the other hand...
I thought that too, until in whistler we spent 30 minutes figuring out why my friends FSA pig wasn't working- my king we got together in about 5 seconds.