Quantcast

When do you usually bid on stuff on Ebay?

When do you usually bid on stuff on Ebay?

• 4 days before it ends

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2 days before it end

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • The day it ends

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Within 3 hours

Votes: 47 73.4%

• Total voters

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I almost never place my first bid unless there is 18 hours or less left on the auction, and then I check on it every few hours.

Which is why I wonder why the bids are so long... whats the point of having a 5 day bid if no one wants to bid on it until the day of?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BigMike said:
whats the point of having a 5 day bid if no one wants to bid on it until the day of?

To advertise and give exposure to the auction perhaps?

I usually try to bid in the last 15 seconds. Yeah, I'm one of those bastards.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Unless it is ending within 48 hours, I don't even look at it.

Bidding is typically within 10 min of it ending.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Yeah-I bid on it as soon as I see it too. Man those guys sitting in front of a computer all day sure have the advantage. Mountain bike parts have some stiff competion on ebay. I spend a lot of other peoples money on ebay for building materials. They got deals on faucets and tools.

splat

Nam I am
Crashby said:
Bid in the last 10 seconds, or you are only driving up the price... pure and simple.
:stupid:

Snipping is Fun!! I only Bid on a Item early for one of 2 reasons.
1 ) there are 10000 of the same item all at the same price. and I have no plans on going any higher , if I win it at that price fine iof not Bid on the next one
2) it has a rediculosly low Starting price like $1 ( for a $100 Item) then I Just do it as a watch.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I always put my auctions up for as long as possible. It gives more time for people to notice and keep an eye on your auction. I typically get a few bids in the first day anyway just because the price is so low.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I do a lot of 'watching'. If I really want something I'll throw in a snipe bid in the last 15 seconds. I usually don't win because I'm cheap and the price goes up to more than I think it's worth.

Last thing I bought were some tires that the seller had a bunch of, so the price was basically fixed. He said he'd sell me more at a quantitiy discount if I dealt with him offline in the future. Cool.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
johnbryanpeters said:
I use a service to make a snipe bid at the last moment.
best possible method. but, i think i've used all my freebies on the various services, and now there's a cost per auction result.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I snipe as well. 3-5 seconds is the average.

There are 2 times that by not bidding early I lost out because the seller ended the auction early (one was a DH bike that sold for $450 when I was going to bid $1800).

So now if it's something I want bad enough, I might toss a "good faith" bid in the first day or so, then wait to the end.

<edit> I've had good luck with 3 day auctions, but I use 5 as standard for most things.

MantoR

Chimp
Oct 7, 2004
Michigan
i toss a low bid in early, then watch till the end. If it's what I want and with in my price range then bid again.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
jimmydean said:
<edit> I've had good luck with 3 day auctions, but I use 5 as standard for most things.
Agreed. I just threw a bunch of crap up on eBay (6 items), one has been bid more than its value, but everything mostly just sits with little views and few watchers. I think 5 days, even 3 for popular items, is the sweet spot. I tend to not look at anything ending in a day or two because I have no idea what the price is even vaguely going to be unless I really want it.

Oh yeah, and I'm the asshole who bids 2 seconds before the auction ends.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
johnbryanpeters said:
I use a service to make a snipe bid at the last moment.
Me too...but I'll usually toss a tiny bid in as soon as I decide I want it...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
The problem is that if I wait, I usually forget and then it's too late to bid. But, I agree, I really like the bid-sniper services. I figure if everyone on ebay wants to be an ass and snipe, I may as well too.

splat

Nam I am
the funny part is back in the early days of eBay ( I've been doing this for tooooo long !!! ) you couldn't snipe , an acution use to end at the end time or 5 minutes after the last bid was recieved which ever was later. so an auction litterally had a going going gone .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BigMike said:
how do these bid snipe services work? is it an automated thing, or do you pay someone to sit and watch the bid all day?
Automatic and mine has a setup and check time. It checks 30 minutes (that's what I set it for) before auction end and will email me if my current bid it too low. I have it set to 3 seconds before auction close, seems to work well enough.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Looks like everyone follows the trend on here........ I have two things for sale right now, and they just went below the 3 hour mark and have almost tripled in price!