Quantcast

When does the bike season start for you?

When does the bike season start for you?

• December

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • January

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • March

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • April

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • It never stops...

Votes: 65 70.7%

• Total voters

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Well, bike season never ends for me, not in my head anyway.
But honestly, it runs with daylight savings time for me.
I stay in shape by going to the gym and riding on weekends, but when the time changes I always ride a ton more.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I start riding to work between Feb and March. A little less rain and not as cold in the morning. I will start hitting trails soon, but most are too muddy or still covered in snow. April is the full blown bike season, then Oregon races start Cinco de Mayo weekend!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never really stops. Might have to go a week or two now and then without riding because of rain or snow but I wouldn't call it a stop.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Winter is the best riding in S.B.
I'm leaving work early and riding today, fook yeah!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Mine never ends... but it may have to stop for a couple days once in a while due to rain/mudslides.

Even when I lived in New England we still rode afterwork (with lights) and weekends during the winter, as long as the snow wasn't too deep.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Mine started in Feb. Racing in the snow and stuff but it is still racing. Then headed to southern cali for some warm racing. Long drive but well worth it. I got a winter time tan!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it never used to stop for me; if there was snow locally, we could always drive the ~100 miles to the cape and ride Otis or Trail of Tears. those days are over for me now; it's hard to burn a whole day and leave the wife w/ the kids.

so i voted april, as march is usually too muddy for trail riding.

i used to love winter riding as long as the snow held off...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
amydalayna said:
Does anyone else live where there is just too much snow to ride in the winter?
occasionally (see my post above re: Cape riding). it all depends on the amount of snow...sometimes it's not much, but sometimes you have a consistent ground cover which gets added to on a frequent basis. at least around my area.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
narlus said:
occasionally (see my post above re: Cape riding). it all depends on the amount of snow...sometimes it's not much, but sometimes you have a consistent ground cover which gets added to on a frequent basis. at least around my area.
I guess I'm not willing to drive 100 miles to ride bikes in the winter.
But I moved out this way for the snow, so I better enjoy playing in it!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
narlus said:
it never used to stop for me; if there was snow locally, we could always drive the ~100 miles to the cape and ride Otis or Trail of Tears. those days are over for me now; it's hard to burn a whole day and leave the wife w/ the kids.

so i voted april, as march is usually too muddy for trail riding.

i used to love winter riding as long as the snow held off...
:stupid:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
I guess I'm not willing to drive 100 miles to ride bikes in the winter.
But I moved out this way for the snow, so I better enjoy playing in it!

What choo talkin' bout willis?

The I've only NOT ridden a bike two weekends this entire winter. (one because I thought I was dying, the other the snow was too good).

Pinenuts, auburn, sout yuba in washington, reno.................

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I ride all year and pretty much always have, even when I lived in Connecticut and Boston. But no question, in the ten years I've been living in the bay area I've definitely gotten softer about riding in bad weather.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
What choo talkin' bout willis?

The I've only NOT ridden a bike two weekends this entire winter. (one because I thought I was dying, the other the snow was too good).

Pinenuts, auburn, sout yuba in washington, reno.................
pinenuts gets muddy (and i don't drive down to the carson area on my days off). auburn is too far. reno is for you and your crazy DJ bros. DJs are SCCCCCAAAAAARRRRRY.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
narlus said:
it's about the same or shorter than a lot of people drive to ski.

and the price is easier to take. :)
a live a mile and a half from a resort. snow is a much cheaper hobby for me than biking. but passes out here are a heck of a lot cheaper here then they are back in new england.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
(and i don't drive down to the carson area on my days off)..
Well only one of us can do anything about that.:cool:

amydalayna said:
auburn is too far. reno is for you and your crazy DJ bros. DJs are SCCCCCAAAAAARRRRRY.
There are trails ALL OVER peavine in reno. Plus there's white's creek (gets a little snow every once in a while), geiger for a little DH....

Takes me about an hour to get to auburn.........I guess 50 is slower.

But my winter weekends are full of biking. If I couldn't do that I'd move somewhere like jackson where literally the only thing to do is snowsports. I ride just as often here as if I lived in the bay area. I guess I just want it more.:love:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
I ride just as often here as if I lived in the bay area. I guess I just want it more.:love:
you've lived out here longer. maybe you've just had enough of the snow. it's still novel to me to have that much snow at my disposal every weekend.
but i'm ready for it to be gone now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it is a commitment thing to ride in SLT. When I lived in New Orleans, the closest place was about 70 miles away (Hooper Road), and the best place was 2.5 hours away (Clear Springs).

Even in the Bay Area, I will be driving an hour to hit Napa, Rockville, or Mt Diablo. There are closer places though, and I would ride road during the week when I lived in NO.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I also have one more lame excuse on why I don't ride in the winter.
Friends. I have way more winter friends than summer friends. It's a billion times easier to find someone to go boarding with in March, then there is finding someone to go biking with.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
It doesn't end as I'll ride year around. However, I'm taking it a little easier this year to begin the year because last year I came back from Colorado in June and I was totally burned out. This year I'm not going to really pick it up until mid April.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
Friends. I have way more winter friends than summer friends. It's a billion times easier to find someone to go boarding with in March, then there is finding someone to go biking with.
I'll be your friend...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:

See I'm too much of a prick to have friends.........problem solved.:)

You're quite correct on the snow issue. I never even touched a bike the first 2-3 winters I lived here.