Quantcast

When is the snow best in Whistler?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
that time frame sounds like a good bet for good snow, but also hefty crowds... i wouldn't travel from cali to whistler just for skiing, however (although i certainly feel it worth the 4.5h drive from seattle :D). go to the rockies!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Toshi said:
that time frame sounds like a good bet for good snow, but also hefty crowds... i wouldn't travel from cali to whistler just for skiing, however (although i certainly feel it worth the 4.5h drive from seattle :D). go to the rockies!
Gotta agree....skiing is surprisingly hit and miss at Whistler. Being in the cascades, it can often be kinda sloppy and mushy....(lower down)... and then if they get TOO much snow they close the 80% of the good stuff due to avalanche... I've been skunked a few times there.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I've been going to Whistler 5 years now and here is when we go and why.

We go the last week of February / first week of March. Hopefully there has been enough snowfall to build up the base by that point. As you get later in March, you start to get spring conditions. But what'll happen is the snow will soften real late in the afternoon, say 3:00. Then overnight it will cool and that soft snow turns to vintage east coast ice (trust me, I know that sensation well). So you get ice for 80% of the next day.

As March turns to April, you start to get the rain at the base which makes late day runouts tough. But this can be a good time of the year b/c the days are long, the sun is warm at the base and apres is definitely kicking. Not to mention, you can have the Telus ski and snowboard festival as well, which is one wild party. Riding isn't the best this time of year, but probably the best balance.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
You're brainwashed. Or you're kidding.

Why the hell would someone who now lives in california

1. not go to tahoe or mammoth

2. not go to utah or jackson if they're going to fly

over colorado?
i was including utah and jackson in my use of "the rockies" :D