Quantcast

when the f*@$ is Manatiou going to get their s%*@ together

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Well the latest for me is I have spoken with Manitou and they are replacing the part that broke at no charge...... yippee! However, I am still dissapointed with the company for the simple fact that they do downgrade their forks by using plastic parts that prove to be light but very unreliable. Hopefully in the future the company will take heart in what we are saying and replace the plastic with aluminum parts for continued lightweight and increased durability. Because when the forks work, they work very well!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
davep said:
I would add a true oil seal to the fork in the same way that Marzocchi does it, oil seal behind the dust wiper. It worked for my X-works dorado until i sent it back to manitou for a refund because they could not make the damping work..

Behind each dust wiper is a foam ring. That foam ring sits in a space (on my fork) that was exactly the correct size for an oil seal to fit. I essentially pulled the dust wiper, removed the faom ring, pressed in an oil seal and replaced the dust wiper. Viola dry caliper and rotor...

Pull the fork completely apart
remove the dust wipers carefully
measure the space where the seal will go (outer diameter and depth as well as inner diameter (stantion diameter))
Go to a hydraulic seal wherehouse (there has to be tons in SLC it is so industrial in parts) and ask the dude ther for an oil seal that fits.
(or bring in your leg and stantion and have them measure)

should look like this http://elastotechnics.kremen-rti.com.ua/images/logo/PRODBL.jpg
Mmm...so my Evil Genius "seals" aren't exactly "seals". Glorious. :(

Suspension work in general scares me, so I might not be doing what you say (adding a seal behind the wiper). Is that the only fix? Do I just have to keep lubing it up every few months after it slowly looses all of its oil?

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Man I totally thought Manipooh was out of business. Go Figure!!

People are still cheap & willing enough to buy one. When there are three other proven Co. out there, (MZ,FOX, SRAM/ROCKSHOX)

Oh and the answer to the question. (Never)