Quantcast

when the familiar turns new

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

so my wife told me i could do anything i wanted to today, and i was thinking of doing a road ride over to her parents house and play w/ the kids in the pool, but miles' tball game in the afternoon was kinda poor timing, and it was supposed to be in the mid 90s. instead, i decided to hit my local trails in harold parker, a place i've literally ridden in hundreds of times. since i'd made late plans, i just went solo, but brought my camera. turns out i've got loads of mosquito friends too, and they decided to tag along.

starting out from the small lot, there's a really fun twisty singletrack right from the get-go. here are a couple of features:

lots of fun, loamy, rooty, rocky terrain to choose from:

there are sections where it's easy to get thrown off-line; this doesn't look particularly challenging, but string mile after mile of this stuff and add in some short but quick steeps, and you'll see what i mean. i hit my max heart rate to date climbing up a rocky section which eventually brought me back down to this pond:

from here, i noticed a new trailhead on my left (usually i'd bang a right and continue around the pond, on the established singletrack):

but i decided keep to on the doubletrack, and do some exploring in a place of the forest i'd not been in a long time, if ever. after a friendly chat w/ an equestrian, i hit upon a couple of loose climbs, and i saw a big fat garter snake slither off the trailside. a few minutes later, a flash of orange told me that orioles were in the vicinity. after climbing up the doubletrack, i found a singletrack entry (but very overgrown), and took that down a fun, swooping descent to the backside of some farm. when i stopped, i noticed someone curiously looking back at me from the field:

from here, i decided to head back and check out another doubletrack, but since i was by myself and the day's heat was starting to take its toll, i headed back for the climb out which brought me to the farm, and back to the new trail i'd seen earlier.

this trail was built very well; loads of drainage ditches cut where water can run off and not erode the trail, armored sections where it needed it, berms built up, and fun ups and downs.

after stringing together a couple of new sections, i came upon this cool section of trail:

the trail to the right looked a lot easier to roll down rather than climb up, and i decided not to try the heroic ascent. here are a couple of pictures:

closer:

looking down:

i took the left side, which looped around and led to this drop:

that led straight into the rolldown picture just above it.
very cool to find a very well built, new trail. :cool: :love:

i made my way back to the car, 2 hr of really fun solo riding.

made it back for a quick shower and the t-ball game w/ my boys.

happy fathers day to all the dads out there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
splat said:
Nice Narlus
what camera were you using ?
i left the EXIF data in there :)

i brought the G2; the rebelxt is too big/pricey for me to take on trail rides, at least now.

that new trail is really well made. kudos to the trail designers and builders!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
i brought the G2; the rebelxt is too big/pricey for me to take on trail rides, at least now.
it's no criticism of your shooting, but you can tell it was with the small cam since the highlights blow so much quicker and everything looks a bit too punchy and crisp for real life. bring the big cam!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
it's no criticism of your shooting, but you can tell it was with the small cam since the highlights blow so much quicker and everything looks a bit too punchy and crisp for real life. bring the big cam!
it's also probably directly related to my hamfisted PP efforts of sharpening edges and crude level adjustments.

should i bump the EC down a bit next time? i suppose i could shoot, check the histogram, and make corrections from there, eh?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
it's also probably directly related to my hamfisted PP efforts of sharpening edges and crude level adjustments.

should i bump the EC down a bit next time? i suppose i could shoot, check the histogram, and make corrections from there, eh?
yeah, i would do that. with my S30 i used to shoot most of the time on -2/3 EC, low contrast, low sharpening, high saturation.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
that trail looks freshly cut, has it?
yeah, i think it's only a few weeks old. the pictures in the beginning of the thread are from a trail which is about a year or so old.

it's funny, it's in a place where we always used to say a new trail would come in handy (the 1-track dumps to a fireroad, where you follow for a few hundred yards to the point where the pond picture was taken, and then you climb up the trail again). glad to see others not only shared our vision but executed on it.