Quantcast

When to add compression?

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
When should you add more compression? If your going down a section with a bunch if small hits then a little bigger one. On the bigger hit you feel a thud on rear of you bike. Would you add more compression or or take off compression? Or in general if you feel a thud and feel yourself slowing on a hit like that would you add or back off compression? Or do you think it is in the rebound being to fast or slow.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Speed up your rebound if your shock is packing on successive hits.
Both of them could work for you. I would advice you read your shock manual and learn what damping does what. The thud may come both to your shock packing on hits(due to too much rebound damping) and lack of hsc. It may be also an undersprung shock.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Make your rear rebound a tiny bit faster.
Also make sure your Sag is set up properly, it makes a huge difference.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
It's a banshee scythe with a MX tuned DHX. I'm about 170 with 30% sag. The shock set up been fine for me, except for this trail which is more gnarly. I wasn't able to adjust the high speed much. The high speed is hard to turn and didn't have the tools on me.
I'm in the middle of spring rates, I chose the softer side. Maybe I should go up one to 500.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's a banshee scythe with a MX tuned DHX. I'm about 170 with 30% sag. The shock set up been fine for me, except for this trail which is more gnarly. I wasn't able to adjust the high speed much. The high speed is hard to turn and didn't have the tools on me.
I'm in the middle of spring rates, I chose the softer side. Maybe I should go up one to 500.
Nope with 30% sag you should be fine. Add HSC as previously mentioned.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
If the rear shock is spiking (causing the thud), why would you add high speed compression to make the thud even harsher?
Or is the thud caused by the shock bottoming out?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If the rear shock is spiking (causing the thud), why would you add high speed compression to make the thud even harsher?
Or is the thud caused by the shock bottoming out?
If it was spiking it would be noticable more often than on one heavy hit and Ive never heard a shock making a thud because of spiking.

Imho I would move the bottom out bumper and see if it bottoms out. Again reading on how different adjusters work would also help as you will know how different changes should feel. Unless you know that we are guessing here for you.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
If it was spiking it would be noticable more often than on one heavy hit and Ive never heard a shock making a thud because of spiking.

Imho I would move the bottom out bumper and see if it bottoms out. Again reading on how different adjusters work would also help as you will know how different changes should feel. Unless you know that we are guessing here for you.
I understand what the adjustusters does, but knowing and applying them is the thing. I can get the low speed and the rebound the way I like. I just need to fiddle with the hi speed more. I was asking for peoples experience for what they felt on the bike, to add or take off hi speed. I was going to use that to help in adjusting.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
But you dont know how a spiking hsc feels, neither too little of it. Ride it and play with the adjuster. You have like 4 or 5 possible causes. Experiment and see what works.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
But you dont know how a spiking hsc feels, neither too little of it. Ride it and play with the adjuster. You have like 4 or 5 possible causes. Experiment and see what works.
And experiment I will do for this race weekend. Heard lots of rocks so I need to get this hi speed dialed in. Thanks for the inputs.