Quantcast

when will we be ready to openly discuss our various bigotries?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Despite the poor choice of topic wording, there were some good points being raised about various candidates.

It is a political forum, after all, no?

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Looks like McCain tried in '00, but quickly apologized... Link, Link

and NYT Link (last 2 paragraphs.) Not that I can't understand or be sympathetic to his rage and pain at the memories... Doesn't, however, show a great deal of common sense on the campaign trail.

A better question might be: how long does (or should) it take the public and media to forgive (overlook) a candidate's "flaws."

Is contrition enough or does it take some sort of public media flogging?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
We are a long ways away from that point.
but unlike other 'problems' in our society (fiscal, policy changes, infrastructure, etc.), openly & honestly addressing bigotry can start instantaneously.

sad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I dislike pretty much every lawyer I have ever met.
I dislike people who inherit lots of money.
I dislike people with bad tattoos.
I dislike people who tell me what to do.
I'm afraid of really tough looking women.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like Starbucks (coffee or what they stand for)
I don't like GWB and his administration (strabucks - coffee)

Other than that, I can be pretty tolerant of just about anything else.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i hate fat people who refuse to struggle with their corpulence. you know the type: shop exclusively at lane bryant, all bejeweled & perfumed. they huff and puff for 10 minutes after waddling in from the parking lot where they drove their full sized SUV in circles until a spot in the front row opened up.

i hate it when people wear bluetooth ear thingies as an accessory.

i hate when people talk about their church like it's a hard-to-get-into university

i hate when people brag on their socially inept kids.

i hate it when 20-somethings still have to bubble over with nervous laughter on any topic.

i hate seeing the shadow of a 7" belly-button through stretch shirts

we done here?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

We were at a wedding reception when this dude showed up sporting the balding ponytail and a ear piece.

A week later, I was with a friend at Fry's and he was looking at buying one. I said "Only of you promise to never take it off and walk around like a jackass poised to take a call at any minute like the dude at the wedding".

Then some douche with one walked by and I busted up "Like that guy!".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i hate fat people who refuse to struggle with their corpulence. you know the type: shop exclusively at lane bryant, all bejeweled & perfumed. they huff and puff for 10 minutes after waddling in from the parking lot where they drove their full sized SUV in circles until a spot in the front row opened up.

i hate when people talk about their church like it's a hard-to-get-into university

i hate when people brag on their socially inept kids.

i hate it when 20-somethings still have to bubble over with nervous laughter on any topic.

i hate seeing the shadow of a 7" belly-button through stretch shirts

we done here?
I could totally be your running mate.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Don't get me started.

I have a burning, golden banana of hate for so many people.

We don't have the time or space here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate slow walkers and people who get in the way of movement in public spaces. People in grocery stores that have to browse items while placing their shopping cart to block the whole lane. Groups of people in airports that walk slowly 5 abreast when you are late for a flight.

I hate how people act like complete assholes when they have a certain level of anonymity yet when face to face they are polite and docile. Some lady sat at a green light for a good 30 seconds when I gave her a short beep of the horn to remind her to look up, she flipped me the bird. If it we were face to face at say a line at the grocery store she would have just said she was sorry. Personally I am as much of an asshole no matter my level of anonymity.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I hate Taco Bell, who with the exact same few ingredients, manage to keep "inventing" new types of tacos with stupid names that all taste exactly the same...like crap.

I hate Brett Favre.

I hate dudes with Emo hair, or in general, "hipsters" of all types...especially those with scooters.

I hate Jurassic Park III.

I hate Charter Communications.

I hate "Crocs" sandals.

I hate really loud exhausts on pretty much anything, but especially Hondas and Acuras.

I hate Martina McBride.

...I could keep going.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate Taco Bell, who with the exact same few ingredients, manage to keep "inventing" new types of tacos with stupid names that all taste exactly the same...like crap.

I hate Brett Favre.

I hate dudes with Emo hair, or in general, "hipsters" of all types...especially those with scooters.

I hate Jurassic Park III.

I hate Charter Communications.

I hate "Crocs" sandals.

I hate really loud exhausts on pretty much anything, but especially Hondas and Acuras.

I hate Martina McBride.

...I could keep going.

Some dip**** up the road from me has an Integra with a fart can. That is bad enough but he spends all day just driving it up and down my road at full throttle. I think I am going to throw a hanfull of pennies down his exaust so he can enjoy a few extra rattles with his POS car.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I hate slow walkers and people who get in the way of movement in public spaces. People in grocery stores that have to browse items while placing their shopping cart to block the whole lane.
Nailed it!

That sir, is the core of my anger towards the human race.

I'm a fast shopper and encountering these mouth breathing, confused people after dealing with their likes in traffic, I'm sometimes furious.

The other night I "drifted" my cart into the beverage aisle and was confronted by a jackknifed cart being pushed by a recent immigrant woman who glanced up at me and became confused, froze and darted her gaze to the new Monster drink offerings.

I slammed on the brakes and let her pass (very slowly), while asking: "Did you want some Mean Bean, or what were you doing?"

No response...

:disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nailed it!

That sir, is the core of my anger towards the human race.

I'm a fast shopper and encountering these mouth breathing, confused people after dealing with their likes in traffic, I'm sometimes furious.

The other night I "drifted" my cart into the beverage aisle and was confronted by a jackknifed cart being pushed by a recent immigrant woman who glanced up at me and became confused, froze and darted her gaze to the new Monster drink offerings.

I slammed on the brakes and let her pass (very slowly), while asking: "Did you want some Mean Bean, or what were you doing?"

No response...

:disgust1:
I'm a commando shopper. I know exactly what I want, I'm in and out as fast as possible and I am willing to kill anyone who gets in my way. I don't wear underwear either.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
i hate people who perpetuate stereotypes and then bitch about it: i grew up constantly combatting the jewish stereotype (i'm generous, inclusive, i do "splurge" on stuff and am in no way frugal, i'm not a doctor or lawyer, and i eat bacon) but am constantly disappointed by those around me (sometimes even in my family).

while i can't speak from experience with other races (black, hispanic, asian, etc), similar actions as described above do annoy me.