Quantcast

When will Yeti make an SS bike?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Every bike I own, sans my road bike and my "mini-dh" bike are Yetis. You could say I have a problem. You could even call it an addiction. But I have a personality that is like that, so instead of fighting it I just go with it now. I'm much happier as a result.

Which brings me to my question: When is Yeti going to build something to compete with my Intense SS? I love how Yeti's go down the hill. Nimble, retarded fast, and a lot of fun to ride. But there is no 6.5" or 7" Yeti out that has the geometry or the build to fill this missing space in my Yeti arsenal.

Do you ever see a day where they bring back something like an updated, more SS geo version of the ASX? You remember the ASX, right?

Now if you messed with the geometry some, and beefed it up a smidge, it could compete with the Intense SS and the Driver 8 from Santa Cruz. But yet, Yeti no haz. Why you no haz SS bike Yeti?

Or am I just ignorant? Do they have something that is in this range and my google-fu just isn't as a strong as it should be?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They did a proto 303 SS a few years ago. Doesn't seem like anything ever came of it, which is a shame.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They did a proto 303 SS a few years ago. Doesn't seem like anything ever came of it, which is a shame.

See, that's exactly what I want.

Yeti, you make this now!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah it looked like a cool little bike. It was something like 5.5" of travel, 66.something head angle with a 36, 13.4ish BB, 7.5 pound frame with a DHX air. They threw some pictures of it around in early '08 IIRC, then I never heard anything about it after that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On a sort of related note, there's about a 90% chance I'd own the second gen SS if they'd given it a full length seat tube. They fvcked that one up.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So put a hydro post on it and call it a day. Thats what I am doing with mine.
My concern was that there's not enough seat tube for that to work. I'm proportioned like a chimpanzee, all torso and arms, not much leg. On my Spitfire I've got a dropper post, but there's about a foot of it in the bike. That's not going to fly on the Intense.

Do you know what the deepest insertion (that sounds dirty :brows:) you can get away with is?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
My concern was that there's not enough seat tube for that to work. I'm proportioned like a chimpanzee, all torso and arms, not much leg. On my Spitfire I've got a dropper post, but there's about a foot of it in the bike. That's not going to fly on the Intense.

Do you know what the deepest insertion (that sounds dirty :brows:) you can get away with is?
Save for pennies for when the new KS post comes out with 6 inches of drop...

Edit: More SS2 info here.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i thought i wanted the 6" KS Supernatural but i thankfully got the 5"...anything more and it would be way too big.
their new one looks sweet, but not at $400

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
i thought i wanted the 6" KS Supernatural but i thankfully got the 5"...anything more and it would be way too big.
their new one looks sweet, but not at $400
Yeah. Flippin inflation... I've had times with my Trance X where 6 inches of drop would work better, but that's just me. :think:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think that accomplishes the exact opposite of what I need- I need a post with the shortest total length possible, and anything with 6" of drop isn't going to be short.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've ridden the SB66 a few times. I am getting one to replace my ASR-5, but its just not the insane launch bike that my Intense SS is.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've ridden the SB66 a few times. I am getting one to replace my ASR-5, but its just not the insane launch bike that my Intense SS is.
Is your SS a 1st gen? If so, the SB66 is just about identical geo wise and the rear triangle is loads stiffer than the SS. Seems like a perfectly good replacement and it's a Yeti :thumb: