Quantcast

When you go out to eat, Chicken or Steak?

What do you prefer to eat when dining out?

• Chicken

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Steak

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Tofu

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
narlus said:
what i want to know is what percentages of restaurants you (non-CA) frequent actually serve tofu?
Well, let's see - I'd say about 85%. But then, I make it a point to go to restaurants that will actually have what I like too eat.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
narlus said:
what i want to know is what percentages of restaurants you (non-CA) frequent actually serve tofu?
Very high percentage but considering these are mostly Chinese, Thai, or Malaysian restaurants these numbers are skewed.

Growing up in a Chinese household, tofu was just another ingredient. Ordering tofu in an Asian, particularly Chinese, restaurant doesn't guarantee that's vegetarian friendly because most likely it'll be cooked with pork (ma po tofu for example) or braised in chicken stock unless you specify otherwise. Tofu's one of the most versatile foods out there.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
SkaredShtles said:
And you really *like* tofu? I thought people just tolerated that stuff........ :think:

-S.S.-
Well, I don't eat it plain out of the package! It really just takes on the flavor of whatever sauce/dish it is in. It adds protein to my meal and I like the texture, feels cool.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Heidi said:
Well, I don't eat it plain out of the package!
Ha! I do :D. If I'm cutting up tofu for a dish I'll usually munch a few pieces in the process. I'll also put raw tofu in my salads.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heidi said:
Well, I don't eat it plain out of the package!
I slice it up and add a little salt and pepper. I can eat a pound of tofu just like that.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Usually i will order a steak, only because i dont eat that much steak regularly. i do eat a lot of chicken at home, in many various ways. so when i go out i guess i look for soemthing different

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
DamienC said:
Very high percentage but considering these are mostly Chinese, Thai, or Malaysian restaurants these numbers are skewed.
Thank the Gods that I live in DC.... I think that we have the most diverse population on the East Coast (besides NYC)..

If I want Indonesian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Chinese...I can get it.

Asian food is quite veg friendly.

and there's a 'Super H Mart' down the road from me :thumb:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
hooples3 said:
Usually i will order a steak, only because i dont eat that much steak regularly. i do eat a lot of chicken at home, in many various ways. so when i go out i guess i look for soemthing different
:stupid:

Generally speaking, I can not cook steak as well as a restaurant can, so I order steak quite often when we go to a decent restaurant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
I slice it up and add a little salt and pepper. I can eat a pound of tofu just like that.
Can't a lot of tofu or other soy products give you man boobs or otherwise a hefty dose of estrogen?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
:stupid:

Generally speaking, I can not cook steak as well as a restaurant can, so I order steak quite often when we go to a decent restaurant.
baboon, sounds like you need to get a better butcher shop. grilling a piece of steak (esp something like sirloin or tenderloin) is easy-peasy; no reason why you can't match a restaurant if the quality of the cut is there.

i tend to go w/ fish for much the same reason (either type of fish offered on the menu isn't what i can normally source on my own; the preparation/sauce accompaniment is beyond my skill; or most likely, because my kids don't really like fish, i don't end up cooking it at home all that much).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
baboon, sounds like you need to get a better butcher shop. grilling a piece of steak (esp something like sirloin or tenderloin) is easy-peasy; no reason why you can't match a restaurant if the quality of the cut is there.
:stupid: CostCo actually has really good meat (NY, Ribeye, and filets are the only ones I've tried). There are a couple specialty meat shops nearby, but they are heinously expensive. Oh, and mo more of this "easy-peasy" OK? :mad:

-S.S.-

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Can't a lot of tofu or other soy products give you man boobs or otherwise a hefty dose of estrogen?
Hey, I'm up here. Hello? I said, up here!

Will you please look me in the eye when I'm talking to you?