Quantcast

When you spend $ 100,000 on lumber a year, apparently you get...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Prime Beef!!!!

My material supplier sent me a big huge box of Omaha Steaks for Christmas via UPS. It has all kinds of beefy goodness in it...

:drool:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
Prime Beef!!!!

My material supplier sent me a big huge box of Omaha Steaks for Christmas via UPS. It has all kinds of beefy goodness in it...

:drool:
Nice! Omaha Steaks rule...it looks like you have Christmas Eve dinner.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
hooples3 said:
100, 000 in lumber is all you spend?? seems a little low. oh and the steak looks yummy
When I say lumber I am talking just lumber. That does not include windows, doors, roofing materials, brick, yadda...yadda...yadda....

That cost is basically 1/6th of the cost of a home.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
aaa i see... still seems low.. when i used to build decks it used to cost close to $8000 in lumber for some of them depending the size and prefrences. but i guess a lot of that wood is custom stuff

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
OT: Hey N8: Do you ever have any scrap Tyvek house wrap lying around? It's good for making ultra-light backpacking gear, tent drop cloths, etc. I've don't want to buy a whole roll of it and I can't seem find anyone that sells it by the foot.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
OT: Hey N8: Do you ever have any scrap Tyvek house wrap lying around? It's good for making ultra-light backpacking gear, tent drop cloths, etc. I've don't want to buy a whole roll of it and I can't seem find anyone that sells it by the foot.

I occationally have some. Just buy a roll and have a life time supply.

:p

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
I occationally have some. Just buy a roll and have a life time supply.

:p
I've actually thought about buying a roll and selling it by the foot/yard on ebay to people like me who want to make stuff with it but only need a few yards of material.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
I've actually thought about buying a roll and selling it by the foot/yard on ebay to people like me who want to make stuff with it but only need a few yards of material.

There is good money in buying stuff in bulk then selling it in small amounts.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
You do know that no drop cloth at all is much more "ultra-light"? :think: :p

Yeah actually never use one. What I really want to make is a vapor barrier / bivouac for my sleeping bag. Tyvek is a lot like gortex. You can make a bivouac bag for your bag. Body moisture can escape but rain doesn't get in. ---> no need for tent at all.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
<snip>Body moisture can escape but rain doesn't get in. ---> no need for tent at all.
Yeah. Theoretically. I own a Bibler bivvy sack and let's just say that it'd be OK in an emergency on its own, but I would not want to be caught out in the rain with it.

It works great as an overbag in the winter.

WRT a vapor barrier - those are supposed to go *inside* your sleeping bag. Between your body and the insulation material to keep moisture from getting into the down/fiber/whatever. I can't imagine sleeping in a Tyvek sack inside my bag. :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So far my Dad has spent about 35 thousand on his home for lumber. Although it is a renovation. Another 25 for marvin windows and another 15 for foam sprayed insulation in the barn. I think when the project is done ill post some pics up.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
Is everyone in CT fabulously wealthy? :eek:

Hes a builder. He is renovating a barn by himself and is going to resell it in the next year or so. Not planning to live in it! Actually, right now he is living in a trailor outside the project.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
mack said:
Hes a builder. He is renovating a barn by himself and is going to resell it in the next year or so. Not planning to live in it! Actually, right now he is living in a trailor outside the project.

Shouldn't you be at the airport by now?

:monkey:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
WRT a vapor barrier - those are supposed to go *inside* your sleeping bag. ... I can't imagine sleeping in a Tyvek sack inside my bag. :D

Oh yeah, I can't imagine sleeping in a sack of my own sweat. Have you ever tried it?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdschall said:
Oh yeah, I can't imagine sleeping in a sack of my own sweat. Have you ever tried it?
They're usually made of a material that pulls the moisture in. The application of a vapor barrier is for extended pack trips (in winter, generally) and primarily for sleeping bags with down insulation. If you don't have time to properly dry the bag, over the course of many days the moisture from your body can compromise the down's loft and subsequently its ability to insulate.

I've never tried one. If I go to Denali, however, I will get one.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
The application of a vapor barrier is for extended pack trips (in winter, generally) and primarily for sleeping bags with down insulation.

From what I understand, it has to be really cold for them to work. Otherwise you'll stew in your own juices. I can't imagine they would be too comfortable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdschall said:
From what I understand, it has to be really cold for them to work. Otherwise you'll stew in your own juices. I can't imagine they would be too comfortable.
I understand they add significant degrees to a bag's warmth rating, though. I also think that they're much quicker to dry out compared with a sleeping bag.

J

JRB

I personally couldn't give a sh*t less how much lumber N8 bought, or what anyone gave it. Just a bit more self gratification he needs to give himself is all I read from this thread.

*the steak looks good though.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
I personally couldn't give a sh*t less how much lumber N8 bought, or what anyone gave it. Just a bit more self gratification he needs to give himself is all I read from this thread.

*the steak looks good though.
You're just jealous that he got meat and you're stuck with nothing.