Quantcast

Where are all the Texass riders?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
3,040
0
used to live in houston and rode all around in the austin/san antonio/houston area. anyone know if west-end bikes still exists in houston? dan murphy did more to get the racing off the ground in the early days of the state series than anyone else. had some really good riding buddies there in the late eighties/early ninties. i now live in east tennessee building the best d.h. trail system in the south east. www.windrock-mtb.com.
 

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
202
0
Boulder CO
How is the riding in the Austin area? Is it possible to ride during the summer - or is it too hot? Are there good mtb trails... good places to ride the road bike with fearing for your life? My girl is from Dallas and there has been some talk of moving to Austin (from Denver/Boulder)
 

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
mcgowanc said:
How is the riding in the Austin area? Is it possible to ride during the summer - or is it too hot? Are there good mtb trails... good places to ride the road bike with fearing for your life? My girl is from Dallas and there has been some talk of moving to Austin (from Denver/Boulder)
all area's are ridable during the bummer uhhh summer but in august you have to get in and out early.
Uhhh the road riding is decent that guy ummm what's his name? tour de something winner trains out there.
austin is a big little city and the standard/cost of living will be about the same.
If you can stand the hippys you'll like it there.
 

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
224
0
Minturn, CO
mountaingoat said:
Yall giving up.. We been riding here.. Havnt heard anything from yall in awhile.. This Texas forum is getting slow..:nopity:
Lookin for somewhere to ride DH for fun (no insurance= nothing TOO stoopid)
How long are you guys rolling in El Paso? I'm in Dallas right now and am wearing out my nice tires on the pavement.:mad:
Can you camp out there (sleep in you car)?? Does it cost $ to ride out there??
I've ridden w/ Elliot Hoover and would like to check out where he got the skillz...
 

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
202
0
Boulder CO
The Toninator said:
all area's are ridable during the bummer uhhh summer but in august you have to get in and out early.
Uhhh the road riding is decent that guy ummm what's his name? tour de something winner trains out there.
austin is a big little city and the standard/cost of living will be about the same.
If you can stand the hippys you'll like it there.
thanks :) yeah that tour de what?? :P but how does the riding compare to say ... oh .. .colorado??
 

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
220
0
Hell Paso Texas
tomacdaddy said:
Lookin for somewhere to ride DH for fun (no insurance= nothing TOO stoopid)
How long are you guys rolling in El Paso? I'm in Dallas right now and am wearing out my nice tires on the pavement.:mad:
Can you camp out there (sleep in you car)?? Does it cost $ to ride out there??
I've ridden w/ Elliot Hoover and would like to check out where he got the skillz...

Come on out.. This is the wild west yo, bring yur guns.. There is alot of stoopid stuff here at the canyon.. shoot me an email when ya decide to come.. There is no fee you just might have to donate a little skin and blood to the trailgods.. Most everyone that rides here has donated at some point.. Elliott helped build alot of that stuff.. And donated as well.. Bring your armor.. peace
:mumble:
 

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
202
0
Boulder CO
Are you making a point or asking a stupid question?:nuts:

Sounds like you know... uh ... the answer:)
well no i dont .. i have never been to austin .. i would have thought the riding in VA .. would not have been nearly as technical as it was..
obviously ... there are not the epic climbs ... and long descents .. however -- is it good fun? technical .. woodsy .. ect :P
 

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
mcgowanc said:
thanks :) yeah that tour de what?? :P but how does the riding compare to say ... oh .. .colorado??
i've never been to denver but i made a trip up to durango just this past summer. The Mountain bike trails in and around austin tend to be very technical, tech like twisty turnie, ledgey, quick uppie downie.
there are no sustained claims like co either but they do have enough elevation to make it challenging.
try out www.pedalmasher.com for some cool video's of the local trails.
 

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
mcgowanc said:
... thanks for the info tony
sure mang, when you get into town drop me a line, i've been needing an excuse to try out a few of the austin trials we dont race on. city park has my name on it when i get all healed up.
 

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
111
0
Anywhere but here.
Yes, if you're into mostly XC. It's epic. The heat is out of control in the summer. However during certain months of the year, you can ride for 10mins and then swim for 5. Ride for 10 swim for 5.....
The rodie commintiy is huge for a obvious reasons. Weather or not it's safe? Well if you have to ask then....
But i figured if your posting up on this specific forum, enquiring about the DH/Freeride scene, Austin is well..um..uh... Although, if you ride a 20, your in heaven.
The "26" drt jump scene is growing along with 4x, but for now it's minimal with some folks trying real hard to get it going.
But Golllleey. Move from Boulder f*&King Co to Texas? nah
 
Mar 31, 2005
12
0
colorado
i'd love some info on the 4x scene! just moved to texas from colorado where i raced 4x & some DH in the mtn states cup. sigh....all kinds of roadies here...roadies everywhere!! where are the real, soul, mtb riders??
 

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
133
0
austin
the closest thing to mtnx racing is at twin parks just south of austin. they run random races that are just small for fun races. there are some (dh ) courses, but you would be fine on any bike i.e. no elevation or technical challenge. comfort is the closest thing to dh in texas as far as races go, but go because the atmosphere is fun not for the course(fire road and freeride ramps, i raced on a hardtail with a 3 inch fork last year)there are a lot of killer dirt jumps all over austin though. go to ozone bikes and ask for shane he helped with some of them.
 

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
220
0
Hell Paso Texas
we have some badass trails here in Hell Paso tx.. There are mountains all around here.. Why in the hell would ya move from Co. to east Tx.????? It is a nice place to visit , but bring yur xc bike..Check out www.roughriderracing.org .. We are fffaaarrr from the rest o texass.. :mumble: Amarillo has some badarse stuff too.. There would be some nice trail in some other west texas towns if someone can get pemission..
 

rippedjames

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
45
0
tx ...
whats up BT , good to see ya postin . me and emily are going to whistler in feb to snowboard and maybe cali in march .

downhill is allmost non existent , with the exeption of a few illegal runs "private dancer" we only have a few trails at TP . but if you like flat , stupid wooden piers "jumps"go to comfort . we just rebuilt the dj line at tp and are currently building another .

building is slow all over the city due to people leaving the scene , there are just a few of us trying to keep the action going .

freeride is allways decent

if anyone needs a tour of tp hit me up just know i only scan these forums every now and then.

B-DAWG
 

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
111
0
Anywhere but here.
rippedjames said:
whats up BT , good to see ya postin . me and emily are going to whistler in feb to snowboard and maybe cali in march .
Whistler!? I hate you.
anyways you and emily are always welcome. march sounds good. bring your boards. we're finally getting snow!
oh, and the riding's not bad either.


:cool:
 

rippedjames

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
45
0
tx ...
sounds like the start of a good idea , i'm sure the locals have hooked you up with plenty of killer trails , we cant wait to get out there . I've been hittin up the dj's lately at TP , unfortunately i high sided the 2nd berm and went over the top yesterday , luckily i was wearing gear so i'll be back out there tommorow,
hope your havin fun
 

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
87
0
Austin, TX
musicman said:
and its fing dry as hell, will someone make it rain.
Yo, CJ! What up?! Been riding?

I rode RHR today, the last day of the year, and we had temps in the high 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be even better. I love living in Austin for many reasons, mild winter and year round riding are two great reasons.

D
 

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
88
0
dburatti said:
Yo, CJ! What up?! Been riding?

I rode RHR today, the last day of the year, and we had temps in the high 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be even better. I love living in Austin for many reasons, mild winter and year round riding are two great reasons.

D
yo d, ive been riding bout once every 2 weeks, im takin my time in my recovery. but i still commute alot on my road bike.
 

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
111
0
Anywhere but here.
rippedjames said:
sounds like the start of a good idea , i'm sure the locals have hooked you up with plenty of killer trails , we cant wait to get out there . I've been hittin up the dj's lately at TP , unfortunately i high sided the 2nd berm and went over the top yesterday , luckily i was wearing gear so i'll be back out there tommorow,
hope your havin fun
..actually i'm in so cal, but the trails are still good.
that's good to hear tp's still going. is it growing?
 

rippedjames

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
45
0
tx ...
Dr. Steth is it growing?[/QUOTE said:
patrick and i have rebuilt the dj line and have since started another "smaller line" , patrick has a new "DH" run , straight from the top to the bottom figure he hits 45+mph but it only lasts about 20 seconds if that . other than that the place is pretty slow growin , but still here.
 
Jun 22, 2005
21
0
Dripping Springs, Tx
Brandon and Pat are awesome. With their help, our gravity section is going to beat anyone else in Texas! Look forward to some pretty cool events this coming year. We will be focusing on fewer, but bigger, events this year instead of smaller monthly ones. We've come a long way with the help of some pretty cool guys. I invite everyone to come out and see the progress that has been made out here. Don't forget, if you haven't seen our club yet, first time's free.