Quantcast

Where are Lance's teammates?!?!?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On today's stage (Pforzheim - Gérardmer) with only a Cat 2 climb, Lance was forced to chase down attackers on the final climb.

This is very disconcerting. Firstly, his team should have been there motoring at the front so no one can attack. Secondly, a team mate should have been marking the attacks not Lance. He is wasting precious energy by chasing after multiple attacks.

Finally, if his team cannot protect him on a relatively easy climbing stage, what happens the rest of the Tour?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw the post race interview with Lance:

"Bad job as a team"
"We are going to need some TALKING TO..."

The sh*t is going to fly tonight. Expect Discovery to cover every attack tomorrow.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The attack uncovered a major weakness in the Disco team. they just plain blew it. If they do it again Lance could lose the yellow jersey. Look for some other teams (Tmobile) to try to expoit this. If Kloden and Ullrich get loose....

Still Lance is the man to beat, I'm sure Disco will try to prevent it from happening again.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I don't know. Hinc and Popyvich were looking fine, and then they disappered. IMO Disc is tricking everyone, and there going to be tons of attacks tomorrow, in which Disc will cover, and everyones going to blow their energy, except Lance. Johann is playing a very keen tacticly game.

Thats just my opinion. Anyone else thinking about waking up at 6:30e/5:30c to watch the stage live?

J

JRB

I thought it looked like they just sat back down. Lance looked cool, and I assume that he had them sit back, since tomorrow gets pretty tough. Note - Lance only chased Vinny when he jumped. He didn't even consider Kloden. Had I planned what I just said, and I were Lance, I would act like they screwed up and make people think he doesn't have a team. I'll bet Discovery goes up like they did last year in the first mountain stage. If so, the Tour will be over for anyone else.

J

JRB

Sherpa said:
I don't know. Hinc and Popyvich were looking fine, and then they disappered. IMO Disc is tricking everyone, and there going to be tons of attacks tomorrow, in which Disc will cover, and everyones going to blow their energy, except Lance. Johann is playing a very keen tacticly game.

Thats just my opinion. Anyone else thinking about waking up at 6:30e/5:30c to watch the stage live?
You were typing as I was. I can't watch until tomorrow evening, but it will be pizza, beer, and Tour. In any order.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sherpa said:
I thought the same.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seemed to be just strategy to me. With high speeds it would be easy for Lance to sit in on any attacks while his teams rests and his competition tires themselves out.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Sherpa said:

Wow, I was thinking "Lance is one of the smartest guys in racing, How did his team f*** this up" I know he's smart and messes with the other team's heads, but I thought it was just a mistake. You guys came up with an even more twisted answer, and it's probably correct. Tomorrow will be interesting.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Yup you got it will. Disc was lookin way too strong in the early stages to just fall over unintentionally today. They have something up there sleeves. If it wasnt on purpose at least SOMEBODY would have protected Armstrong. There are too many strong riders on the team to hang Lance out to dry this early on.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
biker3 said:
Yup you got it will. Disc was lookin way too strong in the early stages to just fall over unintentionally today. They have something up there sleeves. If it wasnt on purpose at least SOMEBODY would have protected Armstrong. There are too many strong riders on the team to hang Lance out to dry this early on.
Yup, anyone remeber 2001 when Lance looked like he was about to die in the mountains? It's all a trick.

Good discussion on RBR:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=35469

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Westy said:
Seemed to be just strategy to me. With high speeds it would be easy for Lance to sit in on any attacks while his teams rests and his competition tires themselves out.
i'm glad you have a lick of sense

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im not into road ridin but I like to watch Lance. Can someone explain this attack stuff. Im in the dark here and I want to understand.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Kanter said:
Im not into road ridin but I like to watch Lance. Can someone explain this attack stuff. Im in the dark here and I want to understand.
It's when someone tries to leave the peloton, and tries to get a time gap on everyone else. Just watch the Tour and listen for Liggett to say, theres goes an attck, because it's alot harder to explain.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So why would Lance send one of his teamate out to follow someone when they attack? Doesn't Lance still have to attack also so he can keep up?

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Kanter said:
So why would Lance send one of his teamate out to follow someone when they attack? Doesn't Lance still have to attack also so he can keep up?
Well, a teamate could slow them down and thats also one less bike length. Lance could also draft his teamate and it allows Lance a little more time to react.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Getting in the way is a little taboo. Don't know if you remember the rider who had a teammate up the road getting shoved out of the paceline last year when he was trying to disrupt the pace.

Don't see how it is easier for Lance with or without teammates to cover attacks.

One of the team's jobs is go to the front and set a pace that makes it hard to near impossible to attack and shred contenders and spit them out the back.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My roady buddy just called and explained it. There is a lot of thought that goes into road racing.