Quantcast

Where are the new iPods...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i wanted to open pandora's box here on RM and maybe get a discussion going about e rumors on where the generation 6 ipods are. After 2.5 years of everyday use and abuse my ipod is starting to get scratched abused banged up and the battery is starting to show signs of wear. I need a new one but refuse to take the plunge until the new ones drop.

I dont want to here anyone's complaints regarding the iPod because mine has been as solid as any device could ever be, not one problem ever.

That said the new ones are rumored to be a full screen interface with a virtual scroll wheel. They are also rumored to be blue tooth as well... Here is a quick blurb, i have read other sources but cant find them...

http://applepedia.com/IPod_Generation_6

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Look! The new iPods are out!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/

You can pay an extra $30 for a red scroll wheel!

Seriously, though, there's very little information around that I'd consider credible. There are pictures of Apple's patent application that do seem to indicate a full screen player with a touch sensitive screen. That looks really nice. But what kinda discussion do you want? :p

I speculate that it will have a 350gb hard drive and some new codecs that will allow you to squeeze 850 hours of high definition video onto it, but it will only have a 2.3 hour battery life :p

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm a huge Apple fan and have been since my first Mac in 1986/87, but the video iPod is ghey. Do you really need to watch TV or a movie that bad. If you're on a plane, get a laptop.

If you want some music in your head, get a Nano.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stinkyboy said:
I'm a huge Apple fan and have been since my first Mac in 1986/87, but the video iPod is ghey. Do you really need to watch TV or a movie that bad. If you're on a plane, get a laptop.

it's actually quite handy for when you're on the bus, or riding (as a passenger!) in a car. i have a bunch of simpsons, family guy, star trek tng, tour de france, wrc videos encoded for my videopod... besides, it's a better form factor and a nicer screen than the photopod that preceded it, and it's the only choice if you want more than 4 gb of storage.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
it's actually quite handy for when you're on the bus, or riding (as a passenger!) in a car. i have a bunch of simpsons, family guy, star trek tng, tour de france, wrc videos encoded for my videopod... besides, it's a better form factor and a nicer screen than the photopod that preceded it, and it's the only choice if you want more than 4 gb of storage.
I'd go blind trying to watch anything on a tiny screen like that. :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
I'd go blind trying to watch anything on a tiny screen like that. :)
it's 320x240, and it's quite decent looking at arms length. then again, i also surf the web on this thing, which has a 800x480 4.1" diagonal screen. that's some tiny text unless you up the zoom level... :dead:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I thought the reason the U2 iPod costs more is 'cause it comes pre-loaded with all the U2 tracks ever recorded? I think that used to be the deal.

I too am waiting the new iPod, 30 gigs isn't cutting it anymore...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
stinkyboy said:

I used my 60 Gig iPod on my drive to L.A. (from Seattle) and the nano just wouldn't have enough storage space....I went through the entire trip (both ways = ~34 hours + or -) not repeating one song...it was nutz...:cool:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Secret Squirrel said:
I used my 60 Gig iPod on my drive to L.A. (from Seattle) and the nano just wouldn't have enough storage space....I went through the entire trip (both ways = ~34 hours + or -) not repeating one song...it was nutz...:cool:
That's a nice use of it. Toshi too uses his instead of a traditional car stereo, but they're too bulky for me to lug around, and forgetting it in the car means death by sunshine in Phoenix.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I still have a 6 GB mini. Love it. Clickwheel gets a little finicky in heat though.

If those images are real, I'm buying one. They do seem to be getting more and more delicate though...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
punkassean said:
I thought the reason the U2 iPod costs more is 'cause it comes pre-loaded with all the U2 tracks ever recorded? I think that used to be the deal.

I too am waiting the new iPod, 30 gigs isn't cutting it anymore...
yeah, that used to be the deal. this one just comes with a itunes music store certificate to download an "exclusive 30 minute video of U2", whatever that is.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Secret Squirrel said:
i know, it is really incredible, i have a 20 and it is maxxed out, frustraiting as hell because i have over 100 gb's of stuff...

im banking on the fact that they come out with 80 or greater in the new versions :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
stinkyboy said:
That's a nice use of it. Toshi too uses his instead of a traditional car stereo, but they're too bulky for me to lug around, and forgetting it in the car means death by sunshine in Phoenix.
:dead: :dead: Yeah....That would certainly kill it...They do weigh quite a bit for how big they are...

Mine goes everywhere with me...even when I don't use it....Just carry it in my cargo (jeans, khakis....whatever...) pockets...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i know, it is really incredible, i have a 20 and it is maxxed out, frustraiting as hell because i have over 100 gb's of stuff...

im banking on the fact that they come out with 80 or greater in the new versions :)
Wait for the flash-based 100gb ones. Give it a couple of years.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am an admitted technology moron, so can someone explain to me (a brief explanation would be best) how exactly Bluetooth technology would be useful on an iPod.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I Are Baboon said:
I am an admitted technology moron, so can someone explain to me (a brief explanation would be best) how exactly Bluetooth technology would be useful on an iPod.
Wireless headphones...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
fluff said:
Wireless headphones...

Would that also mean you could walk around the house using the iPod as a remote which is also transmitting the music to a properly equipped receiver? Now THAT is what I'm waiting for.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Da Peach said:
Would that also mean you could walk around the house using the iPod as a remote which is also transmitting the music to a properly equipped receiver? Now THAT is what I'm waiting for.
You probably could. You can get FM transmitters for them now.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Da Peach said:
Why not just use a $20 iTrip and send the signal to a radio?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
manhattanprjkt83 said:
because the signal sounds so so at best...and you cant bump the thing or it makes the worlds worst sound...
My iTrip/radio combination sounds just fine. Bumping it isn't an issue because I just turn the iPod on and leave it sitting on top of the radio.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
Wireless headphones are the best part of it, but Bluetooth would also allow you to wirelessly connect the iPod to your computer (especially useful if you have a laptop since you can't just leave the cord connected all the time).

It also allows remote communication for various other purposes - a remote control, for instance, for when you have your iPod hooked up to a stereo across the room. Or this new deal that Nike is trying to push: actually setting the tempo of your songs to the beat of your workout.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
My iTrip/radio combination sounds just fine. Bumping it isn't an issue because I just turn the iPod on and leave it sitting on top of the radio.
Realistically, though, that weak little FM signal generated by your $20 accessory isn't going to sound all that fantastic if your stereo is any good.

Car listening is fine, and a lot of home use will be fine, but it'd be nice to have a real, high bandwidth wireless transmission to the stereo. Narlus would, of course, tell us to get a Squeezebox, but if you've already got the iPod for portable music use, buying a $50 wireless receiver for your stereo sounds a lot better than the squeezebox ;)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Realistically, though, that weak little FM signal generated by your $20 accessory isn't going to sound all that fantastic if your stereo is any good.
Would Bluetooth sound that much better? I've used my wife's Bluetooth cell phone earpiece and it isn't anything special (supposedly it's a pretty high end model too...I did my research :D ).

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I Are Baboon said:
Would Bluetooth sound that much better? I've used my wife's Bluetooth cell phone earpiece and it isn't anything special (supposedly it's a pretty high end model too...I did my research :D ).
IMO Bluetooth sucks...