Quantcast

Where are the new iPods...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
Would Bluetooth sound that much better? I've used my wife's Bluetooth cell phone earpiece and it isn't anything special (supposedly it's a pretty high end model too...I did my research :D ).
Well, at least Bluetooth is transmitting a true digital signal. So, in theory, it will sound as good as the original music file. Of course, the reality is that I'm not sure what Bluetooth's capabilities are when it comes to long distance transmission (as in, sitting on your sofa or walking around your house controlling your stereo with the iPod) so there may be interference problems.

Your wife's headset sounding bad shouldn't have anything to do with the Bluetooth data transmission. Probably just a limitation of a tiny speaker and a cellular signal.

BTW, I agree with fluff that Bluetooth is not a particularly good standard. But it won't make the data it transmits sound bad, it's just a very limited standard.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Your wife's headset sounding bad shouldn't have anything to do with the Bluetooth data transmission. Probably just a limitation of a tiny speaker and a cellular signal.
It doesn't sound "bad" per se, I just wasn't impressed. I just expected more given all the hype surrounding Bluetooth. Cell phones themselves don't sound all that great, so I shouldn't expect an earpiece to make it any better.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
binary visions said:
Well, at least Bluetooth is transmitting a true digital signal. So, in theory, it will sound as good as the original music file. Of course, the reality is that I'm not sure what Bluetooth's capabilities are when it comes to long distance transmission (as in, sitting on your sofa or walking around your house controlling your stereo with the iPod) so there may be interference problems.

BTW, I agree with fluff that Bluetooth is not a particularly good standard. But it won't make the data it transmits sound bad, it's just a very limited standard.
My opinion is coloured by the aggravation I have experienced getting Bluetooth to work consistently. I've never really got it going well or long enough to do any useful quality measurement, and never in any realistic application to measure sound quality; as you say, most Bluetooth headsets would contain poor quality speakers as they are designed for voice rather than music.

The tin-foil hat wearing luddite in me also has reservations about adding further radio waves to the vicinity of my cranium.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
manhattanprjkt83 said:
because the signal sounds so so at best...and you cant bump the thing or it makes the worlds worst sound...
Those FM transmitters are fawful, good enough for the car though...

I hadn't thought of the direct link to the computer either. Eliminating that cable from the iPod to the computer would be so cool.

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Da Peach said:
Those FM transmitters are fawful, good enough for the car though...

I hadn't thought of the direct link to the computer either. Eliminating that cable from the iPod to the computer would be so cool.

I've got a monster FM transmitter. It's not to bad, except when it rains. Can't really complain about it, but I do hope a better option arises to listen to your Ipod in the car.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Mastamind said:
I've got a monster FM transmitter. It's not to bad, except when it rains. Can't really complain about it, but I do hope a better option arises to listen to your Ipod in the car.
blue tooth for the car no doubt. Audio out coming out of the back is a great meathod though...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
My friend told me that it would have touchscreen, bluetooth, and maybe even an 80 gig HD, and about bluetooth, if I am not mistaking, the new Oakley Thumps can connect to things wirelessly.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'm kind of wanting a new iPod now. I have a gen. 1 with the wheel that actually moves and 5gb, it's on its second battery, but it still works great. I'm just running out of space. Maybe I'll try to find a gen. 1 10gb model.