Quantcast

Where are they now: Johnny Waddell?

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
Hey folks anyone any update on how Johnny Waddell is doing these days? It's been a while since his site was updated and just wondering how he has recovered, he still riding a bit? Does Santa cruz still hook him up, was always a big big fan of his.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
When Waddell won the NORBA Mount Snow race back in the day, it was amazing for a young guy. He had so much future in this sport. Glad to hear he's still riding.:thumb:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Didn't he coach for a while?
He is what got me interested in DH. Watching his segment in Kranked 5 over and over when it first came out.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
he smashed a bunch of hospital beds and next he was friendly to the hospital security and then figured he could run in sand. to me it was the most coolest win, what he did at mt snow; no world cup, but the dude pedaled thru the yardsale, hats off to to Mr WADDELL he deserves mad props!!!!

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Can you get some outside help and re-edit ^^your post? Some of it sounds potentially interesting,but I really can't tell WTF you're talking about.

god dang doctor put me on painkillers yesterday and i was walking on air :thumb: anyways, some of that is factual. if i remember correctly he was in a coma for sometime after the wreck. he apparently broke the rails off the bed when he came to. it was fable about the hospital security, i am sure he was a good patient though. i read he was training hard and was going to try a comeback for dh and was running on the beaches in sand for training, must have been where he got the motivation for endurance events.

recap:
John's win at mt snow!! He was riding a santa cruz, it was aired on OLN, ( you can see it for yourself if you can track it down). The infamous yard sale that year was pretty nasty, he was the only rider that managed to sneak some pedaling thru the section (crazy just to hang on, not to mention being able to pedal).

Huge boulders with giant holes between them, very limited line choices and total commitment for the riders that were able to ride it out.

it was amazing and one of the most memorable demonstrations of skill and just totally hauling freight I ever saw in person!!

RyanCleek

Chimp
Jan 13, 2010
Interesting thread.
Back in '03/'04 I made a doc film called "Downhill Speed" following three very contrasting pro riders who wouldn't ever be in the same room if not for DH: Eric Carter, Johnny Waddell and Orlando Martinez. As many of you know, at Mont-Sainte-Anne that year Waddell had a life altering crash. At the time EC was on the top of his game and Johnny had just come off a 5th place in DH at Worlds. I carefully chose those riders to provide a distinct contrast in character and keep the film interesting to those who weren't even into mountain biking. It was a zero budget project and my credit card paid for 5k copies. I sold all of the dvds (but am still in the red), and saved 75 copies to give to friends and family. I'm in the process of loading the entire film online for free. For those who've not heard of it, here's a link to the trailer and a little more info on the entire project.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Interesting thread.
Back in '03/'04 I made a doc film called "Downhill Speed" following three very contrasting pro riders who wouldn't ever be in the same room if not for DH: Eric Carter, Johnny Waddell and Orlando Martinez. As many of you know, at Mont-Sainte-Anne that year Waddell had a life altering crash. At the time EC was on the top of his game and Johnny had just come off a 5th place in DH at Worlds. I carefully chose those riders to provide a distinct contrast in character and keep the film interesting to those who weren't even into mountain biking. It was a zero budget project and my credit card paid for 5k copies. I sold all of the dvds (but am still in the red), and saved 75 copies to give to friends and family. I'm in the process of loading the entire film online for free. For those who've not heard of it, here's a link to the trailer and a little more info on the entire project.

I def buy a dvd if you wanted to sell any of the remaining.