Quantcast

where can i find trails like this in CA

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah Livewire is good. No where near as awesome as dirt merchant, but fun and pretty long. The dirt at whistler is pretty hard to beat when it comes to building jumps and tall berms.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Is anyone else bothered by this question? You have to travel to the PNW for trails and dirt like that. If you live in CA, you need to accept the fact that most of the trails are loose, dusty, dry, and rocky (and incredibly fun). Don't go looking for something different; embrace what you have in your backyard.

I lived in Tahoe the past 2 summers and rode Northstar a bunch, and I can't tell you how many of my friends came to visit and complained that it was too dusty/rough/rocky/loose. They seemed to forget about the fact that they had the priveledge of riding chairlifts all day and riding some very unique trails built specifically for mountain bikes. It used to really annoy me; mountains aren't supposed to be groomed. Part of being a mountain biker is adapting to various trails and conditions. Versatility is key; if you only look for a certain type of trail, you're really limiting yourself.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
dexterq20 is off his rocker. There is tons of great dirt in California.

It just isn't above the tree line in the Sierras.

To the OP: you aren't going to find A-Line or Dirt Merchant anywhere but Whistler.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is anyone else bothered by this question?
Yes. I love fast flowy stuff as much as the next guy, however mountain biking is not downhill bmx. One of the things I most enjoy about mountain biking is being out in nature on regular trails, not buffed out tracks.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Is anyone else bothered by this question? You have to travel to the PNW for trails and dirt like that. If you live in CA, you need to accept the fact that most of the trails are loose, dusty, dry, and rocky (and incredibly fun).
I always used to wonder what everyone was smoking when they talked about 6 inch slack bikes as perfect "Park" bikes since my local "park" was northstar even livewire gets pretty tore up after about a month or so. After riding whistler it all became clear.

I love riding at n* though. Smooth trails are pretty cool, but on rough trails you can get creative.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Is anyone else bothered by this question? You have to travel to the PNW for trails and dirt like that. If you live in CA, you need to accept the fact that most of the trails are loose, dusty, dry, and rocky (and incredibly fun). Don't go looking for something different; embrace what you have in your backyard.

I lived in Tahoe the past 2 summers and rode Northstar a bunch, and I can't tell you how many of my friends came to visit and complained that it was too dusty/rough/rocky/loose. They seemed to forget about the fact that they had the priveledge of riding chairlifts all day and riding some very unique trails built specifically for mountain bikes. It used to really annoy me; mountains aren't supposed to be groomed. Part of being a mountain biker is adapting to various trails and conditions. Versatility is key; if you only look for a certain type of trail, you're really limiting yourself.
Well said......I agree.

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
If you don't appreciate the trails and lift access that we have in CA then move to Canada; more fun dirt for me to tear up here!

Dex can vouch for me, we've put more miles on vehicles to do shuttle rides and road trips than you ever should, but all that gas money was worth it. I love CA riding.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Im happy if there is dirt on the east here. Sometimes its just ROCK
Dude, don't complain. I know how rocky the dirt is around Ithaca, I've built WAY more than enough stuff at Shindagin and elsewhere to have an idea, and it's a million times easier to work with than a lot of what we've got in SoCal.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
This thread is teh funneh.

You can't ignore the fun of machine built trails. This is why everyone loves Whistler. You can have you're buff manicured fun, then go 50 yards in another direction and hit some rocky gnar.

Loose dusty duff-duff trails? No.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Errr, in Whistler? I've ridden in a lot of places in North America and no where did I ever come across a trail as smooth and well designed as Dirty Merch. What a fun trail. I was on it with the hardtail at the beginning of the season (the trail gets worse once the season wears on) and it was so smooth I was easily keeping up with the guys on full on DH sleds.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Yes. I love fast flowy stuff as much as the next guy, however mountain biking is not downhill bmx. One of the things I most enjoy about mountain biking is being out in nature on regular trails, not buffed out tracks.

Keep in mind this is your definition. Just like religion and politics, everyone believes something different. That is why we don't just have mountain bikes, but DH, freeride, AM, Trail, XC, 4x, dirt jump, mini-dh, hardtail, 29er, 650b, and other types of "mountain bikes".