Quantcast

Where can I goto to find out how to build a mini storage door

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So we have a staircase in our house, I was lookin the other day and said to myself:
"Self, that looks like an awful lot of space could be under there"
So I cut a small hole in the wall, stuck a flashlight in there and saw an empty space of about 5'x12' under the stairs!

Would be perfect to put baby stuff under, but I need to build an access door. I would build myself, but I think I will need to buy a plank of wood and buy a router to put some nice finished edges on it. Router and the bits I would need will be a couple hundred bucks. It just has to be a pull door ya know, like the door where my upstairs furnace is...doesnt need to be a full on door with real hinges, handle, etc...

Hmmm, I am not making sense here...anyone know of any carpenter forums to check out for some tips, or is anyone here a carpenter?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Check Home Depot. You could probably find a small door there. You woud just have to do the frame. Or it might have the frame with it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Sounds like you just need to put in a large kitchen cabinet door. Not a full blown door, just find some kind of cabinet that matches the trim/decor of the area around the stairs. This is what we have at my house for the "broom closet". Not a real closet, just a tall cabinet built in the laundry room.

Are there any places near you that sell salvaged building materials? We have a place in Berkeley that sells old cabinets and doors, etc. Tons of cool stuff for projects like this. How old is your house?

I'd say truck on over to the Home Depot and look at the cabinet doors. Then all you need is a little framing work to make the access and some trim.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Kitchen cab door! I think thats the perfect idea. I looked at depot yesterday in door dept. but didnt think to look at some kitchen cab doors.

I am also gonna check those links oly, thanks!

As for going the self route-its all good. I surely must have helped some sick people in my previous life, because I have the coolest damn wife ever! so no trouble with doing my self.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I don't know jack about carpentry, but do you drive a Tahoe with a personalized license plate that says "stik"-something? I've seen that ride a few times in The OC and have always that it was something you'd drive.

Irregarl-less, good luck with the project and congrats on the kid.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Is the start of your own "The People Under The Stairs"? It is a movie that freaks me out!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
reflux said:
I don't know jack about carpentry, but do you drive a Tahoe with a personalized license plate that says "stik"-something? I've seen that ride a few times in The OC and have always that it was something you'd drive.

Irregarl-less, good luck with the project and congrats on the kid.
I might be called a 'tool' by many in here...but man, I would never run a personlized plate with my f-ing nickname on it! Tahoe is a gas guzzler, we have a toyota truck and a hybrid car...with stock plates! ;) and no stickers on the back promoting any causes-brands, etc.

Oh, and thank you very much for the good wishes on the kid...Leigh is T-minus about 3 weeks away from poppin out the kid...so, we will take any good luck we can get!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
sanjuro said:
Is the start of your own "The People Under The Stairs"? It is a movie that freaks me out!!!

Why not....

We watched "The Village" last night...I would hate to find one of those creatures under my stairs.