Quantcast

Where can I order a titanium spring?

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to find the correct spring from their site for a romic, but can't seem to find a spec for it? This is for a Romic rear shock that came stock with a 2004 Turner 5-spot. I believe the current spec on the stock steel spring on my romic is a 500x2.25

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Dont think you are going to find that ^^^^.

The romic requires a 1.5" ID spring. The vivid and the avalanche are the only two shocks that currently use that size. You are also looking for a fairly short spring (the spot uses a 2.0" spring stroke). The shorter the spring, the less material and the less weight savings via Ti. For most, it is not really a worthwhile $/weight savings on such a small shock.

Avalanche lists the short springs as discontinued, Obtainium and diverse (the only companys to currently make a vivid sized ti spring) do not make them that short....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Nope, as it says in the description, the RCS 'one size' springs are 1.43" ID.

davep said:
The romic requires a 1.5" ID spring. The vivid and the avalanche are the only two shocks that currently use that size...

Avalanche lists the short springs as discontinued, Obtainium and diverse (the only companys to currently make a vivid sized ti spring) do not make them that short....

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aside from the weight savings (or lack therefore of, as mentioned by you dave) wouldn't the performance advantages (ti vs steel spring) be worth considering?

If not, what are the performance differences between a DHX 5.0 with /ti spring compared to the romic (steel spring) I'm running on my 5 spot currently? Has anybody any insight to this?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The performance increases on a Ti spring are less than negligable<sp> In other words, you will never have your suspension Oscilating enough to see it. Its pretty much for weight savings and Longevity in the Mtn bike world. Now if your talking hi speed hotrod and race application you will start to see a difference, but not with Mtn bikes.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry to offend you Dave, Just thought I would actually add the link which reads that it fits the Romic.

Sorry, I forgot the stupid "I am a smart a$$" avitar. Be assured that i am not offended in any way what so ever...this is the www!!

I was just giving you crap because i mentioned two posts up that Ava is no longer selling that size spring (as per the link you posted...)

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It has been a while since I ran a romic so comparing it directly to the several DHXs that I have owned (all on different bikes and years later) becomes a bit difficult. The romic certainly has fewer adjustments (could be a better thing), and I dont remember the LSC adjuster doing a whole lot.....it worked, but it was not as agressive as some of the current 'propedal/anti-bob designs out now). Your frame however is a pretty good pedaler and IMO you would not be helped (maybe hurt) by more 'pro-pedal).
There were certainly some QC issues with some of the Romics (leaking rebound knobs) but I am pretty sure that Roger @ Romic is still servicing/tuning them for a very reasonable price.
If it were me, and my bike, I would contact romic and ask them about getting the shock tuned. Be honest with them about your riding style/terrain/speed/aggressiveness/etc and see what they can do.

A custom tuned 'older' shock IMO would be a better investment in performance vs a newer stock shock....

The ONLY difference you will notice with a ti spring on either shock for that bike is ~75g loss in bike weight........and $200 loss in your wallet.

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
davep,

So recent update, I've decided to go with a 09 DHX 5.0 for my 04' Turner 5-Spot.

Is there any place that sells a 400 or 450 x 2.0 Ti Spring that will fit this shock?