Where do I get this Bill of Rights?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/convicted-kicking-cop-fights-for-job

Just the highlights:

Police Officer Edward Krawetz

The 12-year veteran of the force is fighting to keep his job after he was convicted of felony assault in March. The case is best known for video from a security camera at Twin River in Lincoln showing Krawetz kicking a handcuffed woman to the head.

Felony assault, you say? Seems like he should be in prison right now, no? Although, it's been 3 months. Maybe he's out already. Let's continue.

Under the Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights, a three-member panel of police officers will decide his professional fate after what is expected to be three days of hearings.

Wait, what? Is this Wall Street or something?

During his January bench trial, Krawetz claimed self-defense, telling the court that he reacted to Levesque kicking his shin area. He was convicted of felony battery by Judge Edward Clifton who decided against jail time. Krawetz was ordered to undergo counseling and given a 10 year suspended sentence.

Oh, there we go. Self-defense again. Must be the first time though, you know. I'm sure he's never been in trouble before...

Krawetz was also convicted of misdemeanor assault in 2001 after an off duty confrontation with a man who was jogging in Cumberland. He was suspended from the police force for 30 days following that conviction and Eyewitness News learned that town officials recommended to the police chief at the time that Krawetz should be fired.

Ha! You knew that was coming, didn't you?

And this is a happy story. He did get charged with a crime, after all. Thank God for good outcomes, amirite?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I know of an incident that does not involve beating but is still plain stupid... an employee of the company I work for was video taped stealing $20.00 from petty cash at the same time every day for 5 days, the following Monday he was terminated for cause. He filed a claim with Montana Wage & Labor Board, hire a lawyer and sued. He claimed that the company wrongfully terminated him as the company knew he was stealing but failed to warn him on 5 separate occasions that his actions could lead to termination. He won what amounted to 2 years wages.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Under the Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights, a three-member panel of police officers will decide his professional fate after what is expected to be three days of hearings.
Seriously, what...the...fvck?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know.

Three days is a long time. I figure one box of donuts per occifer per day is about what it works out to. Makes a little more sense when you think of it that way.

OR

One day for congratulatory head butts. One day for comparing constitution and/or freedom related tatoos (with time during the breaks for 'buzzcut indian burns', then the third day is just outright heterosexual rasslin' to see "HOOZ DA MAN!!!™"

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I went through the Citizens Academy here, we had an extensive course on use of force. The 3 officer panel would either agree or disagree that they or another fellow officer would have reacted the same given the same situation/information. I agree that under normal circumstances, this is a good approach.

Not to say what he did was right. I think the fact that a judge decided it was assault would be enough to say ANY officer would not do the same thing in that situation.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Never had "Boot to the head" in any use of force instruction I ever had in over 20 years of miliary and civilian law enforcement. Guys like this are the reason I left LE...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Never had "Boot to the head" in any use of force instruction I ever had in over 20 years of miliary and civilian law enforcement. Guys like this are the reason I left LE...
Times, they be a changing.

Portland shoots first, boots later.