Quantcast

Where do tweakers go to sell stolen stuff?

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Somebody stole my Dell laptop out of my truck that was parked in front of my house Sunday night. I'm an idiot because I forgot to lock the truck, but this was pretty bold. They must have come in through the back yard and my truck was 20 feet from my house. They got two checkbooks, but that has been handled.

So, anybody have any idea where my laptop might end up?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Somebody stole my Dell laptop out of my truck that was parked in front of my house Sunday night. I'm an idiot because I forgot to lock the truck, but this was pretty bold. They must have come in through the back yard and my truck was 20 feet from my house. They got two checkbooks, but that has been handled.

So, anybody have any idea where my laptop might end up?
I've been finding laptops and other "stolen" items buried tweeks' vehicles or buried amongst the other junk in their houses.

I've only been able to recover some stuff but the problem is the owner didn't have the serial numbers so it wasn't put in as stolen in the system. I've had plenty of tweeks with nicer bikes, ipods, laptops etc and couldn't prove they had stolen it or were even in possession of stolen property because of no serial numbers entered.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
My socom's serial number is entered! Someone just needs to find it for me :)

I've also heard that lots of stolen stuff makes its way over to fresno to get sold. It might be a good idea to check the craigslist over that way too...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
when someone stole one of my trumpets out of the back of my pathfinder a few years back i called all the pawn shops in town bright and early. it turned up not 3 hours later, and the heroin junkie who stole it and tried to pawn it off is still in jail. (mine was the third strike.)

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Thanks for the tips. I have the serial number somewhere.
I'm pretty sure you can add it to the report later...or at least that's what we allow folks to do when they don't have the serial number. I usually just give them my cell number, complete the report but not turn it in and give them a few days to call. If I get no call within a 2-3 days, I'll either call them back or just submit the report and if they call back, just update the report when they do.

Most people don't write the serial numbers down for their electronics and bikes so there is alot of stuff out there we can't recover and same rings true for the gun owner that doesn't write his stuff down. I am not afraid to tell gun owners what I think about them owning a firearm, not locking it up and not writing the make/model/caliber/barrel length and serial number down.

I've recovered plenty of firearms from parolees, probationers, tweeks and criminals in general that I cannot pin possession of stolen property on...I am only able to get possession of unregistered firearm etc. I want to stack charges on these guys/gals who lost the right to possess a firearm as well as those who possess stolen goods. I friggin' hate thieves!!!

Sorry for the rant etc. People work hard for the things they have in life and when I see turds stealing from others it irks me.

I just hate thieves and with a serial number entered, it's cake for us when we run that item and it's stolen....It usually starts with a big smile and new jewelry for the subject!!!

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I keep a file on my computer somewhere with a list of my valuable stuff, descriptions, s/n's, etc. I've had some nice bikes stolen, mostly recovered, but some got away due to laziness on my part.

I also keep a printed copy of the list on file in case my computer decides to jump off the proverbial bridge.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I don't have the SN and can't find it. I called Dell and they wouldn't give it to me, but they do have some sort of program where they will retrieve it without my help. They are in contact with the police dept. directly. It was a leased computer for my business. So are they going to claim it and resell it as a refurbish while I continue to make the lease payments?

Lesson learned. Lots of lessons, really.
#1- Get enough sleep so you remember to lock your truck.
#2- Don't be lazy and leave valuable things in the truck overnight, even if you live in a remote area and your truck is 20 feet from the open window in the bedroom you are sleeping in.
#3- Serial numbers
#4- Shoot tweakers on sight. They have already ripped off some people and will eventually rip you off, so nip it in the bud.

Almost every single neighbor I have talked to from one end of town to the other has had stuff stolen, whether their car was locked or not. They even stole the change from one guy's ashtray.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Yea save all your boxes and packaging from major purchase , I being not so smart left my Canon GL2 and lenses up at a skate-park in Oregon .
I went all the way home and remembered I left it there , so some lucky reason a nice lady and her son turned it into the Fire Dept. I came back up the next day with my serial # from the box and the sales receipt from B&H when I bought it . I walked out with my camera and a good feeling about the world in general

joelietz

Chimp
Feb 16, 2010
Toshi, has good advice. Check all the pawnshops because that's a likely bet. A friend of mine used to work at a place that bought used goods including appliances and it was amazing how much stolen stuff turned up there. His boss was really naive and would pay out money for stolen appliances only to have to return them to the rightful owners a few days later and end up out of pocket himself. Renters would just move out and take the landlord's property. Any place that buys used stuff is a pretty good bet too.

Free insurance quotes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi, has good advice. Check all the pawnshops because that's a likely bet. A friend of mine used to work at a place that bought used goods including appliances and it was amazing how much stolen stuff turned up there. His boss was really naive and would pay out money for stolen appliances only to have to return them to the rightful owners a few days later and end up out of pocket himself. Renters would just move out and take the landlord's property. Any place that buys used stuff is a pretty good bet too.
You are the most helpful spammer.

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
I've had good luck with Bike SN's being on record at the shop of purchase... I bought a bike for a friend's birthday, it was stolen a year later so I told her to call up the shop, they dug up the purchase info and gave her the complete info. Bike turned up on Craigslist and she got a patrol officer to accompany her to meet the guy to 'buy' the bike back. Hopefully Dell doesn't make it a huge fiasco.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The cops have had the serial number for my socom on file... I'm hoping one day I'll see some fool try to sell it online and bam! I'll have a spare bike for my friends to ride when they come visit :D