Quantcast

Where do you keep your money?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know if this is a taboo topic, but where do you keep your savings/checking accounts? Now that I'm a "independant contractor" I no longer have direct deposit, and it looks like I'll be hemorraging money with my skank of dumerica accounts, which have otherwise served me well despite generous fees. I saw an ad for a no-fee checking account somewhere, but I forgot where it was. I want to avoid fees (but am good at managing my account), get a reasonable interest rate, and I like having easy access via ATMs. Part of me would like to get away from my current bank just because they are SO huge it's scary.

so what's the poop? ING direct, Wachovia? something else?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my checking and savings are both through HSBC. They're one of the few companies that has felt relatively little impact from the recession. The interest on my savings account is still over 2.5%. I don't pay checking fees (but its a personal account, not business). The only drawback is depending on where you are, an ATM might not be convenient.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We combine all our money. We have checking/savings with PeoplesBank, although I do keep a separate "rainy day fund" in a credit union account. That little account has come in very useful at times, mostly for vacations.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I use the same bank that my parents and grandparents always have. Salem Five Cents Savings in Salem, MA. They are a small outfit that has always erred on the side of caution and does not leverage its mortgages and such. Free checking w/ debit that pays back other atm fees and pays me to use it as a credit card w/ free fraud protection. And 2.5% on savings.
Small conservative banks are where it's at. I've only been screwed by larger banks I've tried.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I currently have a Bank of America account but due to the actions of their CEO's after the bailout I am shopping around for a more local bank. BoA was attractive because there was no fees and I could travel the country and find ATMs everywhere but, at the end of the day, when I need money from an ATM I am not likely to drive around aimlessly looking for a BoA machine.

When I close the account I plan on writting a letter and informing them that I am taking my business elsewhere due to their actions. Will they miss my pennies? No, but it is a matter of principal and I would urge others to do the same.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I currently have a Bank of America account but due to the actions of their CEO's after the bailout I am shopping around for a more local bank. BoA was attractive because there was no fees and I could travel the country and find ATMs everywhere but, at the end of the day, when I need money from an ATM I am not likely to drive around aimlessly looking for a BoA machine.

When I close the account I plan on writting a letter and informing them that I am taking my business elsewhere due to their actions. Will they miss my pennies? No, but it is a matter of principal and I would urge others to do the same.
It crossed my mind to do the same (been with BoA forever). There are none in WI so we have a local checking acct. & two accts. with BoA.

I really like their website & their 'keep the change' program.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
My wife and I have a checking, savings, Visa card, Visa Check Card and Line Of Credit through Wells Fargo. I haven't noticed anything change on our accounts recently. We don't use the CC, LOC, or Savings for anything. We just use the checking to make daily purchases and pay bills.

We keep our savings account in a low-risk savings at a local small Credit Union. They've been stable a long time, and have mostly government employees who use their bank, so they are usually good to go seeing as the government covers it's own @ss first, before the people it's assigned to protect.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Still with bank of america for all of my generic stuff. Getting plenty of discounts with them for insurance, verizon service and redskins stuff. Dont pay fees for anything because I setup all my accounts when I was young and in college. But as long as the bank offers free bill pay Im happy. The mobile banking feature is also pretty cool.

Been looking at getting an account with navy federal.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ING rules. 2.5% on checking, as many savings accounts as you want, free paper checks (as in, you type in the amount, give them an address and they'll print out and send a check for free), free transfers to/from any other accounts you have (EFT), and free ATM use with anybody else (they'll cover the ATM fee up to 5 / month or something). Heard that HSBC's internet banking system is pretty similar/good as well, but can't comment on them specifically.

The only reason we also have a WF is that's where our mortgage is through, and transferring money is a PITA.

Edit: CRAP, just checked ING and they're down to 1.85% rate on savings?? WTF? in the past month it's gone from 2.4, to 2.2, to 1.85. HSBC is (still) at 2.25%, but who knows what any of them are going to go down to...

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ING rules. 2.5% on checking, as many savings accounts as you want, free paper checks (as in, you type in the amount, give them an address and they'll print out and send a check for free), free transfers to/from any other accounts you have (EFT), and free ATM use with anybody else (they'll cover the ATM fee up to 5 / month or something). Heard that HSBC's internet banking system is pretty similar/good as well, but can't comment on them specifically.

The only reason we also have a WF is that's where our mortgage is through, and transferring money is a PITA.

Edit: CRAP, just checked ING and they're down to 1.85% rate on savings?? WTF? in the past month it's gone from 2.4, to 2.2, to 1.85. HSBC is (still) at 2.25%, but who knows what any of them are going to go down to...
My local CU account is 4% on checking, 5% on savings and the branch is right down the street. ATM surcharge rebate at the end of the month (all fees charged, even the $3 ATM at the strip club), free electronic checks, free paper checks, free cashiers checks.

I do most of my banking through USAA because I have my house/car/motorcycle insurance through them as well and get awesome discounts. But I needed a local branch, so I opened the credit union account to cash checks and stuff.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Individual and joint checking and savings at Wamu. Never leave more than $10k between all accts there. Rest is in dollarsavingsdirect account; 2.65% annual.