Quantcast

Where do you ride the most?

Where do you ride your road bike most often?

• Bike path or rail trail

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Country road (45 mph speed limit or under), wide shoulder

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Country road (45 mph or under), narrow or no shoulder

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Main road (45+ speed limit), wide shoulder

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Main road (45+ speed limit), narrow or no shoulder

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • One-way streets

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Gimme the training wheels, I'm heading to the sidewalk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Just had an amazing road ride this past weekend on country roads with wide shoulders, where I felt like I could pedal for hours. Then I took the bike out today around home and realized how much more tense I was pedaling on the narrow shoulders around here and how, after 40 minutes, I was ready to pack it in. It's funny how the place, rather than the process, can make such a difference in attitude.

I got to wondering what kinds of conditions other monkies ride in. So, chime in....where do you ride most often?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I spend most of my time on back country roads where there are virtually no shoulders, but also very little traffic. The couple of main roads I do take have very wide shoulders (6' or so, maybe wider in places).

I've ridden major roads with narrower shoulders and I just don't enjoy it much. I'm not so worried about the cars, I just hate sucking exhaust fumes for 2 hours. Plus, all the noise and commotion (sp?) of major roads takes away from the experience, IMO.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Generally country roads that vary from wide to no shoulders. Most of them are back roads with little traffic though, even on weekends. Sometimes living in the sticks can be a blessing. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mostly B, with some D thrown in there in order to get to the nicer B's and C's. I avoid the A's because I'd rather deal with cars than joggers, and I avoid the E's for obvious reasons.

:clue:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I try to stay on the roads that have no line markings at all, but I have to occasional ride on a few roads that have dotted lines no white line, dotted lines with a white line but no shoulder and dotted lines with a white line and a good shoulder. My favorite roads though are the ones that don't have any pavement.

Always amazes me when I cross a county line and the shoulder just disappears.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's a mix, i guess...some 45+ roads w/ wide shoulders, some smaller and narrower roads w/ ~ 30mph limits. fast narrow roads are avoided at all costs.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Considering I do not ride road on the weekends, most of my rides are around the mega-suburbs of San Francisco. I do ride a little on quieter roads, but even there, cars are hauling past around 50...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
GreenB2005 said:
2Admin: Sorry if the message doesn't suit your forum. Kindly ask to move it to an appropriate section. Thank you.

IAB Edit: Thanks for the permission. Please eat chopped up glass.

Don't rain on my thread, dude or I'll push you and your mongoose dualie out into the freeway (no shoulders, 45 mph +)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
In the middle of the city. Roads with no shoulder. Most are four lane though and when I am out traffic is light. Also most are 35 mph speed limits, which doesn't mean much but it beats the hell out of traffic legally going 50 past my elbow. There are traffic lights everywhere though which makes long ride unenjoyable. I just can't put my bike on top of my car and drive to a more secluded location. I have to do that for XC, I don't want to do it for road.