Quantcast

Where do you want to ride?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JRogers, Oct 26, 2005.

1. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Well, I should be graduating from college this May and, at the moment, I have no definite plans. I have decided no more school for a year and I want to take some time off after graduation to do something interesting, fun and exciting. I have not gone on a real vacation or anything like that in ages.

My friends and I are thinking of a bike tour (road, camping etc) or something, but I have a feeling that it won't pan out or it will become too expensive for me. I was also thinking about doing a trip to do some mountain biking in all the places I've wanted to ride and see but never could.

I have a car, a spare few months next year, a little bit of money (not much!) and a desire to ride trails of all kinds. I love to camp, hike, swim, travel on the cheap and be outdoors (and I don't mind sleeping in my car....). I have a cyclocross bike, a trailbike and a DH bike and I like to use them all (though my preferences lean towards the DH end).

Where would you go? What are the best places to ride in this country and maybe in the land of our neighbors to the north? The only places I've been riding are the North East and Idaho. And I don't want to just hear about what's cool in your back yard. Where are the best places you've been or know about?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. chicodude

chicodude The Spooninator

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 1
    Vancover, Canuckistan.

Tahoe.

PNW.

End of story

3. hooples3

hooples3 Fuggetaboutit!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    bend, oregon and surroundings

4. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    PNW, biased but true. From Oregon to the Shore, Mt. Biking galore. :thumb: I would be interested to find some of the good stuff in Brazil, but it would be insanely expensive to get down there with your gear.

5. .:Jeenyus:.

.:Jeenyus:. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Make sure to drop by Ashland if your touring Oregon. We have some great trails and the best skatepark in the area.

6. younger22

younger22 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    awesome idea man, after college I want to do the same thing, I want to make it to as many places as possible. I would love to live in Vancouver for a year to bike and ski whistler...Colorado is up there on my list, also I would like to tool around in the Alps. My ideal after college excursion would include a combination of hiking, biking and kayaking for a year or two, sounds like a long time, but it would be worth it to me

7. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I rode from Seattle to San Francisco, but the real Pacific Coast trip is Vancouver to San Diego (although I did meet people who were riding from Alaska to Chile).

You could spend as little at $10 a day on this trip. I never spent more than $12 a day on housing, and never more than $4 for campsites (sometime free). The food you have to buy, but I ate things like fafael mix and noodles, which is are literally pennies.

The trip is easy and there are plenty of other cyclists to help you out or to keep you company.

I started my ride by myself, but I only rode alone for 2 days. It took me about 15 days, and it was the trip of my life.

8. McGRP01

McGRP01 beer and bikes

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    W-h-i-s-t-l-e-r!!!!!

9. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    That sounds awesome!!! Did you ride off road as well?

10. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    I would second (or third or fourth...whatever we're up to now) the Oregon and surrounding area. In fact, I would love to do a PNW tour in general and hit a lot of the area.

11. dfinn

dfinn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i might be biased and I haven't been riding in too many other places but tahoe has the best riding I've ever done. from XC - DH there's anything you could want around here.

12. mobius

mobius Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    I guess europe or aussie land. I went on a road trip like 2 summers ago and hit everything between virginia and whistler and was in whistler and vancouver for 2 weeks.

13. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 21
    well i see a lot of IMBY responses...i'd hit up Loo for a PM to see how his tour went. he definitely covered some ground.

if you want to use the DH bike, you are much more limited than if you wanted to use an XC or FR bike (unless you don't mind walking). so if that is a bike which is gonna see most action, definitely hit up the north shore/whistler area. however, it's a long drive.

for my $, the best xc trails i've ever done are in colorado, specifically around durango. not saying the other places i've been to aren't good to great (bend, tahoe, sedona, flag, front range, brian head, moab, albu/santa fe, etc) but durango's the tops.

i would also give kidwoo a jingle. he's done some epic trail rides.

good luck, it sounds like fun.

:thumb:

14. ghostrider

ghostrider 7034 miles, still no custom title

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    When I win the lottery next week I'm doing a 50/52. That's 50 states in 52 weeks, 365.25 rides.

15. RideND

RideND Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 2
    I am gonna throw out a odd destination here, but I love Bozeman, Montana. I hear Missoula is great too. Fruita was really fun but I like Bozeman better. I would love to hit up Oregon and Whistler, though. SoCal looks nice from the pics I have seen and Snowshoe looks great too. But for places I have been go to Bozeman and ride the Maah Daah Hey (Medora, ND) on your way through.

16. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,013
    I'll comment on great places to ride XC in Colorado:

Crested Butte/Gunnison/Salida
    Fruita
    Summit County (Breck/Keystone area)
    Vail

All will blow your socks off if you enjoy long, tech, high trails.

17. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 103
    Dude, if you really have months for this and plan to do it during the summer, pack your trail and DH bikes and your camping gear and do a cross country loop through the states to the west coast, then up into BC. For a partial list, Durango, Moab, Tahoe, Downieville/Graeagle, Oregon, Vancouver, Squamish, and (of course) Whistler are all meccas to hit and it would be super cheap if you camp most of the time.

18. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 21
    SS, have you not ridden in durango? :oink:

19. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,013
    Nope.

Funny thing - when an area is 7 hours away and there are so many epic rides undone within 1-3 hours, it always takes a real effort to commit to such an excursion.

That's why I think it's easier for you folks who don't live here when you visit. :D

Edit: I've backpacked extensively down there, but never ridden there.

20. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,353
    Don't remind me. I was looking at a CO book at the bookstore yesterday. If they could cure CO of its snow problem and talentless drivers, I'd move back.

21. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,013
    Snow "problem"? :confused:

Talentless drivers...... hahahaha. Try New Mexico some time.

22. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    And you're going to bring all of your friends right? :thumb:

23. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,353
    The fact that it snows.:D

24. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,013
    Not a problem......... :think: :D

25. Rockland

Rockland Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 46
    I've stockpiled some vaca time for the upcoming year. Gotta get out and ride more of the country.

26. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Right now, this is really just something for me to think about, but I do really like the idea. My biggest concerns are the cost and all the riding alone in unfamiliar places that will probably occur. But I can find ways around those...

I do love road trips, though. And I have an uncanny ability to drive long distances without stopping....