Quantcast

where does fat go?

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
when you lose weight what happens to it? Does your body just break it down and "pass" it? Throughy our sweat? Never really thought about it but am wondering.

brian

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by UCSBrian
when you lose weight what happens to it? Does your body just break it down and "pass" it? Throughy our sweat? Never really thought about it but am wondering.

brian
You'll eventually burn it to convert it to energy.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude evryone knows that fat is collected by tyler durden for the paper street soap company and sold back to the rich people to fund project mayhem. jeeez, friggin newbies.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by biggins
dude evryone knows that fat is collected by tyler durden for the paper street soap company and sold back to the rich people to fund project mayhem. jeeez, friggin newbies.

Dude... you TOTALLY just violated Rule #1:angry:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by biggins
Yeah...AND everyone knows that the first rule of project meyhem is to NEVER TALK ABOUT project meyhem! Now who is the newby? :p

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
sorry guys just beat my beautiful face into a bloody pulp in the basement of some smokey bar.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
fat NEVER turns into muscle and muscle NEVER turns into fat.

VT is right - it is burned for energy.
However, keep in mind that the body stores unused protein as fat. Once that happens, it takes 9 calories per gram to "burn" it versus the 4 calorie per gram it takes to "burn" protein (and carbs, too.)

Furthermore, your fat cells have the ability to expand to 10 times their normal size. Your body can generate an unlimited number of fat cells, too, which won't go away without surgery liek liposuction.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
When you burn fat, the atoms that make up that fat don't disapper, as in a nuclear reaction.

They are oxidized, which is a CHEMICAL reaction. I imagine fats are made mostly of carbon and hydrogen. In that case, the carbon as you burn it will mostly exit in your breath as C02. When the hydrogen is oxidized, it would be come water, which is removed from the blood via the kidneys. Any other elements probably wind up as poo, but I'm not a biologist, so I'm not sure about that (Is there any organ- like maybe the liver, that removes solids from the blood in a similar manner that the kidneys remove liquids?)

Yup...mostly carbon and hydrogen...

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Here's a picture of a saturated and an unsaturated fat molecule. Note the double carbon bond in the unsaturated fat; there's room for two more hydrogen molecules. That's why it is UNsaturated. If you have more than one double carbon bond, it's poly-unsaturated fat.