Quantcast

Where exactly is Windrock?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey guys-

I'll be meeting up with a bunch of you next weekend to ride Windrock for my first time ever. I'm driving up from Alpharetta, GA with my girlfriend (who I've conned into shuttling us all day :-D ), but I want to make sure I know exactly where I'm going. A little google search turned up this map. Does it look right to you guys?

Thanks,

John

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You have almost pin pointed the lower mountain DH stuff. The actual entrance to the park is the large gravel parking lot at the intersection of Windrock Rd and Hoskins Valley Rd.

Its amazing to see all the jeep and gas well roads from the air.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Whaer you are show "B", I think that is the midway shuttle drop off area.

The parking area is the clearing about 100 foot SE of this point:

36.0873653646559 -84.3318306840957

Yes, I am a nerd with a GPS. Tpye those into google maps and you should be good to go.

John: do you have a GPS? If so, I'll send you a garmin file with the trails that I have mapped. Your riding with some good guys though so I am sure you'll have no issues with finding the trails.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
so I am sure you'll have no issues with finding the trails.
We have all the trails marked with Coal Creek OHV signs now. The start to the Windmill and DH area aren't marked from the road, but as Chris says there will be plenty of guys around to show you whats up.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Hey Chris, can i get those trail maps? I should be coming up with a few guys from Clemson so i hope i dont get lost and need them but it would still be nice to actually use my gps some. (pm sent with email)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Cool. Thanks, guys!

Chris, I have a GPS, but it's made by Delorme. I just got it, so I have no f-ing clue how to use it yet. :imstupid:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
John, mine is a .txt file. If you can't figure out how to get it imported, just open the file with notepad and get the DH and Windmill Trailhead waypoints. You'll be good from there.

Ah heck:

DH Trail Head: N36.09399 W84.33906
Windmill Trailhead: N36.10480 W84.33366

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
They should be acurate except for the trail that I labeled as snakerock. It might be a different trail since it doesn't look like it switchbacks enough to be snakerock.
Stuff is all different now. You'll probably remap eveything i.e. Snakerock doesn't go the coal berms anymore, but it does connect to the road gap.

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
I have a degree in GIS and when i go back to UT this fall i will be able to get my hands on mapping grade GPS that is accurate to within a minimum of 2 Ft and the use of professional map making software to make the maps if you guys want. recreational GPS is only good to around 40ft to 150 ft feet of were you really are even with differential correction like WAAS and depending on how many satalites and trees, time of day etc..... i will need projects to do and this is one i had on my mind, that and re-mapping concord and giving the trails names there. thinking of doing some 3D maps too to better show how steep windrock is.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
JP some of us are coming up Sat Morning and will be rolling in around 9:30 through Oak Ridge and Oliver Springs. Most likely will be staying overnight somewhere in the oak Ridge area. We will be glad to meet you somewhere and show you the way from there. Being that you are coming in from GA we will be coming in the opposite direction. We will be coming in from I-40 from Asheville NC. Feel free to PM me if you want my Cell #?

Cecil

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
JP some of us are coming up Sat Morning and will be rolling in around 9:30 through Oak Ridge and Oliver Springs. Most likely will be staying overnight somewhere in the oak Ridge area. We will be glad to meet you somewhere and show you the way from there. Being that you are coming in from GA we will be coming in the opposite direction. We will be coming in from I-40 from Asheville NC. Feel free to PM me if you want my Cell #?

Cecil
Don't get directions from Cecil. This is the guy that went by the Y-12 National Security Complex entrance to get from Oak Ridge back to I-40. You take a wrong turn over there and you could end up at Guantanamo Bay.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Don't get directions from Cecil. This is the guy that went by the Y-12 National Security Complex entrance to get from Oak Ridge back to I-40. You take a wrong turn over there and you could end up at Guantanamo Bay.

Yah that’s what happens when you go by a GPS. That was the way it tried to take me and the first time in over 3 years I had been there. Last time I drove up the other month with no problems and didn't use the GPS. I know my way there now. Thanks for the concern man!!!!:cheers:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
The GPS didn't take us there - we were trying to turn into that ghetto car wash that you wanted to go to. Remember?
Only because I knew they were selling the good stuff!!!! That was funny!!!!

We pull in to wash our bikes off from all the mud riding. First words that come out of their mouths. Hey the change machine doesn't work!!!! Well do you happen to have change for a $1 on you? No!!!!! Try down the street at the other car wash!!!! (Hints there is no other car wash)!!!!