Quantcast

Where I Put My Peloton

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So any of you all actually have a Peloton? Especially with their 30 days try risk free deal I’m contemplating giving it a whirl.

Wife likes spin classes but never makes it out to them (have I mentioned we have 3 kids?), if that helps.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So any of you all actually have a Peloton? Especially with their 30 days try risk free deal I’m contemplating giving it a whirl.

Wife likes spin classes but never makes it out to them (have I mentioned we have 3 kids?), if that helps.
Look at Echelon. Half px, same thing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Look at Echelon. Half px, same thing.

Assuming you have a spare bike and a display device to pair to, a high end smart trainer will cost half as much and will fit in a closet when she stops using it in 3 months. Even better a cheap smart trainer will cost a fraction of a peloton and I doubt the wife will have concerns over flex and sub 2000 watt resistance during standing sprints.

But if you are just trying to say "I love you" by spending money, you should commission a platinum cock-ring from our resident angry hammer swinger.

If you are trying to say "I love you but yo need to lose a few pounds" a block of fancy Yoga classes should suffice. Not that Yoga does shit for fitness, but it shames women into looking better in their yoga pants while making you look thoughtful.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Echelon is interesting. But the price difference ultimately doesn't matter, and having the company in question around is paramount (noting various lawsuits between them flying about). The user experience with the classes is the draw with the Peloton ecosystem, if you will–again, she likes spin classes.

I'd certainly use it as well, at least on days when I don't bike commute for whatever reason.

I think it's worth a 30 day trial. If I don't like it they refund everything and come and pick it up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As westy says consider a bike plus smart trainer then just use the app. It's what my dentist SIL uses. Then it doesn't matter if peloton go bust, plus you have an actual functional bike to use.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As westy says consider a bike plus smart trainer then just use the app. It's what my dentist SIL uses. Then it doesn't matter if peloton go bust, plus you have an actual functional bike to use.
We don't have extra bikes laying around, let alone ones that would fit both me and the wife. Peloton going bust is certainly a concern, yes. Doing their 0-down financing deal to avoid upfront cost actually might mitigate that risk… hmm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We don't have extra bikes laying around, let alone ones that would fit both me and the wife. Peloton going bust is certainly a concern, yes. Doing their 0-down financing deal to avoid upfront cost actually might mitigate that risk… hmm.
The big question is where are you going to put it? The great room, solarium or in the garage Mahal?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So @Toshi no longer eats and is replacing his e-bike with a dentist grade stationary bike ? Is that what is happening here ?
The e-bike isn’t going anywhere! In fact I will likely add another one in the spring, a longtail cargo e-bike to use for dropping off kids at school on the way to work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The e-bike isn’t going anywhere! In fact I will likely add another one in the spring, a longtail cargo e-bike to use for dropping off kids at school on the way to work.

For the first time I saw several people riding e-MTBbikes. They were probably 60-70 years old.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man, RM as usual provides lots of snark and no useful information.

@Toshi , here's my ghettoton setup. I have used it for nearly 50 rides, it seems like the best ROI on fitness equipment I've ever gotten. The spin bike isn't a direct replacement for a real bike, but it's more stable, it's always there (so not in the garage, not covered in dirt, not misadjusted). I used an old computer monitor, pedals I bought from HAB, an old table, and mtb shoes that were too big. I finally put a spedometer on it that has a cadence function so I have a better idea of what I'm doing, but it didn't really matter- the exercise was good whether I was slightly off pace or not.

The big deal with the real peloton bike is that you can compete with other people live. It has a built in power meter so it measures the amount of work you do vs other people, and you can try to move up the leaderboard. There are also pre-recorded classes, which is what I usually do. My setup cost about 1/9 what the real bike does, but it offers 90% of the effect. I love it because I can wake up at 4:50, get a workout in, then shower and go to work. I don't have to negotiate time with the wife, or spend precious time driving to the gym, or align my schedule to when spin classes are available...I just wake up, drop my laptop on the table, grab a water bottle and go. It's pretty slick and a lot of fun.