Quantcast

Where I Put My Peloton

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm curious as to how the Peloton power meter actually calculates watts....not curious enough to actually research it though. It seems to WAY over-calculate power output. I see Strava workouts from people who don't normally ride, like runners rehabbing an injury, do a 60 minute Peloton workout and average like 300 watts, when I know there is no way in hell they can generate that kind of power. I'm a decent cyclist and I might average 200 watts for an hour at a very hard effort, and I can't do 30 seconds north of 300 watts, using the actual power meter that is installed on my bike (Power2Max). I see those workouts flash across my Strava feed and I just roll my eyes at them.
I read somewhere that there is no power meter, they simply calculate power using resistance and cadence. Huge variance in the condition of the brakes on these bikes, so no surprise that it would be inaccurate

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I gave this another shot tonight in the midst of a 30 minute very low average power cool-down-from-day spin.

I maintained 500W for 30 seconds. Probably could have gone 45 seconds. Not sure if I could hold that for a minute.

750W for 15 seconds was ok.

1000W for 10 seconds was very tough but possible. Doing it after these other two brief intervals perhaps made it harder--already depleted my creatine kinase?
How many clothes have you dried on it?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We decided to keep our Peloton and it's not a clothes hanger yet, btw. Wife is using it, and I use it when I don't get enough real life activity between bike commuting (ice everywhere now!) and skiing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's hard to sell somebody who owns a stationary bike another stationary bike. The number of people I know with a peloton is crazy, but once you own one, why would you buy another? They need to drop the price or invent something new.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you need the peloton bike to participate in their classes?

If the answer is no...

It seems like a strange business. Like sandwich mentions, only so many people you can sell them to. If only they could tap into the million other trainers out there and start raking in those recurring monthly payments.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I still like my Pelotons. Bike- at the mountain place, Bike+ in Denver. Until I expand my real estate empire further don’t need another one, though!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do you need the peloton bike to participate in their classes?

If the answer is no...

It seems like a strange business. Like sandwich mentions, only so many people you can sell them to. If only they could tap into the million other trainers out there and start raking in those recurring monthly payments.
Yes and no. They have an app, which works really well, and you can take any class with it on any bike. It is cheaper than the subsription on the real bike. Without the real bike, you lose the competitiveness/camaraderie that you get with the real bike. With the real bike, the price doubles, plus you bought a $1500 spin bike, but you get to high five other soccer moms in their basements.

So, if I had room and time for two fitness apps, I would absolutely keep the peloton digital membership...but I don't, and I'd rather spend $2g on a smart trainer and real bike, so I did.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In a northwest Ohio industrial park, up the highway from a new Amazon.com Inc. warehouse and a soon-to-open solar-panel plant, Peloton Interactive Inc. PTON -1.49%▼ is building a million-square-foot factory that it will never use.

The once-hot stationary bike maker is selling the facility, initially set to cost $400 million and to be completed this fall, as it races to downsize a manufacturing operation expanded by leaders who believed Covid-driven demand would outlive the pandemic.

Its miscalculation about demand and the shift in the market have been so costly that Peloton—a company worth nearly $50 billion about a year ago—has laid off thousands of people, had to borrow $750 million to head off a cash crunch and is exploring a sale of a minority stake. It is a reminder that strategic choices—not just pandemic forces—determine how businesses emerge from the crisis. Peloton’s value fell to less than $5 billion this past week.

In late 2020—with homebound consumers clamoring for its bikes—Peloton’s co-founder and longtime chief executive, John Foley, dismissed the idea that the company was growing too much based on a demand spike that could prove temporary.