Quantcast

Where is my "Lahar"?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Submitted the 2nd video to pinkbike for there front page and apparently "it is not home page content at this time" must be because you aren't crossing there hand with silver.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Submitted the 2nd video to pinkbike for there front page and apparently "it is not home page content at this time" must be because you aren't crossing there hand with silver.
the idea that you can ride a decade old bike isn’t really what Pinkbike is about. Maybe if part 3 details how to retro fit headset cable routing?

did you send them part 1 to post? Or did they find it organically?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
the idea that you can ride a decade old bike isn’t really what Pinkbike is about. Maybe if part 3 details how to retro fit headset cable routing?

did you send them part 1 to post? Or did they find it organically?
What is pink bike about? Submitted, there isnt really much on that front page that isnt submitted now or paid for.

Even though they posted the 1st part most of the engagement came organically considering I started with 7 subs.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
What is pink bike about? Submitted, there isnt really much on that front page that isnt submitted now or paid for.

Even though they posted the 1st part most of the engagement came organically considering I started with 7 subs.
I know it’s rhetorical, but…

I read Pinkbike, vital, and the radavist most days. The main differences to me is dumbed down to:

Pinkbike - the industry is great, look at all this great stuff, everything new is amazing. Isn’t the newest genre great?

vital - the industry’s kinda messed up, but our guy who works for whoever is doing great stuff, most new stuff is amazing. Isn’t racing great?

The Radavist - the industry is an unstable plaything dictated by the winds, the treasures it leaves behind are a means to connect to our core self. Isn’t alt cycling great?

Ride monkey - The industry sucks, old bikes suck, new bikes suck, you suck, why are we doing this to ourselves.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
only one of those 4 isn't trying to sell you anything.
And that’s why I come to ride monkey. Grumpy fucks who hate the industry normally give honest advice. Is it good, balanced advice? I’ll leave question that for another day.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I know it’s rhetorical, but…

I read Pinkbike, vital, and the radavist most days. The main differences to me is dumbed down to:

Pinkbike - the industry is great, look at all this great stuff, everything new is amazing. Isn’t the newest genre great?

vital - the industry’s kinda messed up, but our guy who works for whoever is doing great stuff, most new stuff is amazing. Isn’t racing great?

The Radavist - the industry is an unstable plaything dictated by the winds, the treasures it leaves behind are a means to connect to our core self. Isn’t alt cycling great?

Ride monkey - The industry sucks, old bikes suck, new bikes suck, you suck, why are we doing this to ourselves.
I find nsmb.com is an excellent website too. One of my favorite contributors there was Andrew Major, who is apparently now writing for our overlords at www.bikemag.com . Probably worth it checking out Bike Mag a bit more, now that he's there.

I think Pinkbike deserve an honorable mention for their position against thru-headset cable routing. It seems that was the limit they were not willing to cross when it comes to overhyping garbage. It would have been easy for them to pussyfoot their way around this standard in their reviews, but they did not. I appreciate that.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I find nsmb.com is an excellent website too. One of my favorite contributors there was Andrew Major, who is apparently now writing for our overlords at www.bikemag.com . Probably worth it checking out Bike Mag a bit more, now that he's there.

I think Pinkbike deserve an honorable mention for their position against thru-headset cable routing. It seems that was the limit they were not willing to cross when it comes to overhyping garbage. It would have been easy for them to pussyfoot their way around this standard in their reviews, but they did not. I appreciate that.
every now and again I read Andrew’s blog MeatEngines and I liked his Min-Max style articles on NSMBbut to be honest there’s only so much bike news I can take.

velocipede salon has some cool stories on handbuilt/home made bikes, but again, there’s really only so much I can take in. I watch Chapman Cycles videos quite a lot on Instagram and it’s a special kind of therapy to see him working away on lug sets.

my personal favourite bike site is of course Pete Verdone, the absolute apex of ego. No one can match the sheer self belief of big Pete.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my personal favourite bike site is of course Pete Verdone, the absolute apex of ego. No one can match the sheer self belief of big Pete.
I can think of a few…but those of that class are absolutely in a class by themselves and reality is not part of it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
every now and again I read Andrew’s blog MeatEngines and I liked his Min-Max style articles on NSMB
The NSMB tear down articles are brilliant. As are their long term review follow-ups.

I know its hard to do when everyone is rushing to get the review of the new shiny stuff out the moment the embargo drops, but its good to have an idea of the longevity and serviceability of stuff.

I still want to see a website give every review of brakes to two journalists and make one of them 200+ lbs of brake dragging squid doing park laps just to see if their journos agree on the performance. Brake reviews by lightweight riders, or pros that don't know what comfort braking is aren't going to compare to what I plan to do with them.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Blister is good info for long term reviews too. Especially when they are able to get the bike/product to a couple guys. They aren't 200 lb squids though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I still want to see a website give every review of brakes to two journalists and make one of them 200+ lbs of brake dragging squid doing park laps just to see if their journos agree on the performance. Brake reviews by lightweight riders, or pros that don't know what comfort braking is aren't going to compare to what I plan to do with them.
Yes, shit where you ACTUALLY NEED BRAKES, like Out of the Blue, Predator, Invictus in WA; Hope Point, Hatch Peak, The Dome here. And not the ****ing lower sections of these trails where it's flat, but the top and middle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks for the vid. Is there a way to turn the music down/turn up your voice?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And now someone needs to make a video refurbishing a Buffalo Composites Design DH 29er.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
And now someone needs to make a video refurbishing a Buffalo Composites Design DH 29er.
I couldn't even get a BCD from Alex when he was making them so there probs more chance finding another Lahar to rebuild. Would have loved a BCD, Alex was really far ahead.